Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M35 Luftwaffe SE or EF?

Article about: Evening gentlemen, I have just picked up this ex double decal Luftwaffe M35 helmet in a trade. I have no idea about the "carrying type strap" attached to it so I would be intereste

Default M35 Luftwaffe SE or EF?

Evening gentlemen, I have just picked up this ex double decal Luftwaffe M35 helmet in a trade. I have no idea about the "carrying type strap" attached to it so I would be interested in your thoughts on that, it has no markings on it whatsoever. The helmet itself has had what I think is a Depot level over paint inside and out as you can still see the national decal underneath the paint and the "shadow" of what looks to have been a "droop tail" that someone tried to expose with thinners (tut tut). I cannot make out the maker or Lot number as the paint is so thick but it is either an SE66 or EF66, if any of you guys with the "eye" for the shell shape variations can tell I would be grateful!! The liner is in great order and a size 57, I think the chinstrap is ok as well but I guess is a later replacement, also I think the liner band is dated 1937 although it is hard to see. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 Luftwaffe SE or EF?   M35 Luftwaffe SE or EF?  

M35 Luftwaffe SE or EF?   M35 Luftwaffe SE or EF?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Luftwaffe SE or EF?
    P
    Many

?

I think it's an SE judging from the vents. If you can, can you post a photo of the lot number. They both have distinctive fonts. Even seeing 1 letter or number should be sufficient. No clue on the carry strap, I don't study them and personally find them hideous. (Just my opinion on the aesthetics of them, others love them and I'm fine with that too). Chinstrap might be a repro, are there any markings on it and can you post full length pics of it?

Hi Doug, I have had a go at getting some better shots with varying success! the chinstrap is un-marked but it does have the "inward slanting" edges that run the length of the leather which is an improvement on most fakes if indeed it is. The leather does seem a touch thicker though so maybe it is a fake strap? It's night time here so I cannot get any natural light images but here's what I have for what it's worth! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 Luftwaffe SE or EF?   M35 Luftwaffe SE or EF?  

M35 Luftwaffe SE or EF?  

Hi Leon,
    The "carrying strap" is actually a bread bag strap. They were often used this way to hold camo leaves and branches. You can find many photos of them in wear like this.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Yeah I'm sure it's an SE. Not 100% sure about the strap. Just seems thicker than normal and rough edged, a couple of the hallmarks of fakes. Perhaps others might have a better idea.

Hello chaps, well off came the bread bag strap and on goes the Russian amoeba pattern cammo cover that Lars and Anna made for me a couple of years back. It was made for a size 62 shell but as I have since given it a good "battering" and numerous repairs, plus a steel wire band instead of a draw cord, it now just squeezes onto this SE66 (thanks Doug) helmet. Leon.

Attached Images Attached Images M35 Luftwaffe SE or EF?