Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M35 "Moto Helmet"

Article about: Ok, food for thought. the motto "or bust" came out of the time of the dust bowl in western U.S. The 36th division from TEXAS was in the nortern Italy. Maybe just maybe Marty

Default M35 "Moto Helmet"

Curious about this helmet, In my opinion the shell and decal are original but I would like to see what you guys think? As well as the "Moto painting" , how would you tell if that period applied or not?
    M35 "Moto Helmet"M35 "Moto Helmet"M35 "Moto Helmet"M35 "Moto Helmet"M35 "Moto Helmet"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 "Moto Helmet"
    P
    Many

Default Re: M35 "Moto Helmet"

hard to tell from those pics.motto modern.

Need close up of the motto. The term "or bust "as been around since the 1930's.

?

I did some research on the word bologna, and it is a town in Northern Italy what this GI was doing putting it on the helmet. I have no idea, possibly some kind of after war occupation celebration.

Who knows probably some type of GI art. The vets had their own reasoning for doing things helmets meant nothing to them like they do us. My dad talked of throwing them under tank threads too watch them crush. timothy

Quote by gel65 View Post
    I did some research on the word bologna, and it is a town in Northern Italy what this GI was doing putting it on the helmet. I have no idea, possibly some kind of after war occupation celebration.
    It's more than just a town, it's a city and famous cultural center. It also has the oldest
    university that has been in continuous operation since 1088AD. While definitely not as large or famous as other Italian cities... Maybe it was a strategic objective for a partocular unit or perhaps a GI had family there and he was determined to return "home".

While it certainly needs to be scrutinized, I think this lid has potential. I like it.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    hard to tell from those pics.motto modern.

We like opinions to not just be a statement on this Forum. It is important to back up your opinion so your reasoning can be debated or at least agreed with.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Certainly looks like it could be period vet art, the lettering has helmet surface rust showing through.
    Regards,
    John

?

Maybe they just finished a battle and that was where all the hot Italian girls were. After all , its a college town! But I feel it stands a chance...I don't see any red flags and the decal looks ok. Besides, if it was contrived, then why would they be careless and spill paint on the decal?

I just don't see why a modern faker would pick Bologna of all places. Why not a more famous WWII Italian locale? Sicily, Anzio, Cassino, Rome, Monte Cassino, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast