Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M35 "Moto Helmet"

Article about: Ok, food for thought. the motto "or bust" came out of the time of the dust bowl in western U.S. The 36th division from TEXAS was in the nortern Italy. Maybe just maybe Marty

Default Re: M35 "Moto Helmet"

Ok, food for thought. the motto "or bust" came out of the time of the dust bowl in western U.S. The 36th division from TEXAS was in the nortern Italy. Maybe just maybe Marty

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 "Moto Helmet"
    P
    Many

?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Ok, food for thought. the motto "or bust" came out of the time of the dust bowl in western U.S. The 36th division from TEXAS was in the nortern Italy. Maybe just maybe Marty

I think that is a stretch.
    Regards,
    John

?

There were plenty of units in Italy that could have used the phrase ''or bust''

Yeah your right Gizmo8z Bologna was quite a fairly large town and a important objective by the 5th army drive north. I worked with a reserve policeman in 1980's that had been a Ranger attached to the 5th Army Mark Clark's army in Italy and he talked about a lot of heavy fighting in and around Bologna as it was considered quite a stronghold. I think he did mention it was quite a cultural center. So the GI that vet art this helment must have went through there. Sadly the vet I speak of passed away around the 2000 mark or I would get more information from him. And he even told me what units turned and went north I just can't remember. timothy

Thank you for all the input and information everyone. I really appreciate it!

The only red flag I have is that I did just find out is that the owner of this helmet is an artist. Here is his website Bob Raser Fine Art , he claimed that he bought it from a family at a church sale in the 50's. He wants only 400 for it , which is not that bad for the condition that it's in even if it didn't have the "motto".
    If the Motto would be period applied, how much would a reasonable price for the helmet be?

?

All I can say is that if you get a good vibe from the "artist" about the originality of the helmet, then go for it.....and get it as reasonably priced as you can. "Artist" can be a serious red flag in regards to historic militaria. So..........at nineteen your BS detector may be seriously challenged as far as life experience, but go with the hard facts.......the helmet is real, the tells are in the discernible age, ....good luck....post more detailed pictures if in doubt and ask for further opinions.
    Last edited by relicz; 07-31-2013 at 06:35 AM.
    Regards,
    John

I think in this case the fact that the seller is an artist is somewhat irrelevant. I mean, it hardly takes a fine artist to paint "Bologna or Bust" on the front of a helmet. I agree with relicz, if the vibe is good and the price is right, go for it.

?

For what its worth,I'm leaning towards a decent vet art helmet,to me the script of the motto appears to age well with the helmet and their appears to be no silly embellishments with the wording or no flary printing of the motto, the word or bust as a common phrase was used by American and British and Canadian troops, also the fact as was mentioned, in relation to the city,a pretty obscure location and one that you would,not normally expect from a faker,although that is no firm guarantee of originality,but I think I would take a punt with it

Alrighty, I appreciate all the help everyone. I'll try to go for it , and if all goes well I'll post some more detailed pictures!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast