Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M35 Purchased from Unique Imports Inc in early '70s

Article about: Hi All, First post, I love this site... My grandfather purchased several ww2 helmets from Unique Imports Inc. in the 1970s. I still have the color catalog that this helmet was purchased from

Default M35 Purchased from Unique Imports Inc in early '70s

Hi All,
    First post, I love this site...
    My grandfather purchased several ww2 helmets from Unique Imports Inc. in the 1970s. I still have the color catalog that this helmet was purchased from(I will scan it's images and post very soon!). I try not to drool on the pages when I read what was available...
    I initially thought this helmet was a repro because it is in such great shape. There is absolutely NO PITTING. But the stamping seems to check out. "Q64" Quist, size 64. And the skirt production number is "668". Does the production # mean anything in terms of value?

Anyway, it's unfortunate that Unique Imports repainted this helmet(they also repainted my british paratrooper and french helmets) and applied double decals(obvious fakes). I want to remove the paint and look for the original decals. The liner looks original but the only marking on the liner's metal rim are the helmet and liner numbers, "64"(and some unit of measurement) & "57".

Do you think there is a chance of revealing an original decal/helmet finish for this item? Should I leave the paint on or remove? Thanks for your help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 Purchased from Unique Imports Inc in early '70s   M35 Purchased from Unique Imports Inc in early '70s  

M35 Purchased from Unique Imports Inc in early '70s  
    Attached Images Attached Images M35 Purchased from Unique Imports Inc in early '70s  M35 Purchased from Unique Imports Inc in early '70s 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Purchased from Unique Imports Inc in early '70s
    P
    Many

Default Re: M35 Purchased from Unique Imports Inc in early '70s

Hi Flash ! Welcome to the forum !

This is a genuine WWII German helmet, but it was re-worked in Norway after the war.
    The 'red' coloured dye on the liner is what leads me to say this, plus the liner string and the
    chinstrap are incorrect as well. Judging from the first photo, your helmet is a M40
    with stamped air vents.

I would leave it !

Really don't think it is worth the trouble to strip it down, as it looks fine the way it is,
    and may be a lot of work for nothing.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 06-14-2010 at 05:11 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Thank you Steve!
    I was afraid of that. It's in such great shape, almost like it was sand-blasted or a chemical bath. I don't know much about M40s but I'll research them. Some of the other helmets ordered from UI are more authentic and I'll post more about them in the other helmet forums here. I'll leave the helmet as is and keep looking for originals.

Back in the 80's, there was a shop in Manchester called 'Sussex Armoury' (I think). It was near a group of old buidings known as the 'Shambles'. They were advertising German helmets at £15 each, so I went down to buy one. When I got there they showed me into the stockroom and told me to root one out to my liking. I couldn't believe what I saw on the shelves, there was box after box just crammed with german helmets!

Clyde
    ?

Hi Flash,
    Good choice to leave it. You may consider it a family heirloom from your grandfather, so it may be worth more sentimentally to keep it and cherish it just the way you have it. Also, there is probably nothing but bare metal underneith, as it sounds to me like it was rather thoroughly redone. If there was anything to uncover, you would notice evidence (however subtle) of paint-overlay, but you describe much too even a finish.
    Last edited by Clyde; 06-15-2010 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks again for your wise words.

Apparently, my grandfather had two german helmets. He gave me the helmet from Unique Imports and he gave my younger cousin his other german helmet. The other german helmet that was brought back by a veteran-friend of his. He gave that other helmet to my cousin thinking that it was the 'lesser' of the two helmets because... [-sniff!-] it was chipped, faded and [-GULP-] you could barely make out the decal... I need to contact my cousin, but he has 5 kids and there's a good chance he's already sold it.

Excuse me while I go cry like a baby in the other room.

Quote by flash developer View Post
    Thanks again for your wise words.

Apparently, my grandfather had two german helmets. He gave me the helmet from Unique Imports and he gave my younger cousin his other german helmet. The other german helmet that was brought back by a veteran-friend of his. He gave that other helmet to my cousin thinking that it was the 'lesser' of the two helmets because... [-sniff!-] it was chipped, faded and [-GULP-] you could barely make out the decal... I need to contact my cousin, but he has 5 kids and there's a good chance he's already sold it.

Excuse me while I go cry like a baby in the other room.
    I would give him a call. If he still has it, you have a chance..........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Find out if your cousin has it and get a photo of it so we can feast our greedy little eyeballs.