Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M40 camo wired

Article about: Recently purchased I had to make an on the spot decision, I believe it to be original and the wire and helmet shows no rust. Manufacturer ET 64, No: 237.

Default M40 camo wired

Recently purchased I had to make an on the spot decision, I believe it to be original and the wire and helmet shows no rust.

Manufacturer ET 64, No: 237.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40  camo wired   M40  camo wired  

M40  camo wired   M40  camo wired  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40  camo wired
    P
    Many

Default Re: M40 camo wired

Looks to me that the wire is been placed on the helmet after the war, and it looks like it has been overpainted, but I'm not sure, wait for the other guys, if it's good, NICE FIND ! =)

Man, I really wish you would start posting helmets on the forum before you buy them. You need to get a refund.

?

Wire looks fake to me. Also as Normandie says, it looks like it has been painted with the wire already on. There is a few things wrong with the wire. It does not look worn or damaged on the top. Would be nice with a pic of the top of the lid. If the wire ever saw combat it should be pretty worn. Secondly the wire is too tight to the helmet. You would never get any grass and other materials to fit between the helmet and the wire to make up any useful camo. The wire looks like it has been attached to the lid and never touched since. Putting chicken wire on a lid is weel known way to "spice it up".

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Wire looks fake to me. Also as Normandie says, it looks like it has been painted with the wire already on. There is a few things wrong with the wire. It does not look worn or damaged on the top. Would be nice with a pic of the top of the lid. If the wire ever saw combat it should be pretty worn. Secondly the wire is too tight to the helmet. You would never get any grass and other materials to fit between the helmet and the wire to make up any useful camo. The wire looks like it has been attached to the lid and never touched since. Putting chicken wire on a lid is weel known way to "spice it up".
    Hi, thanks for your views. If looked at closely the helmet surface under the wire shows a bleached effect from sun exposure which would seem to indicate the wire has been on a long, long time. To say the helmet has been painted wiith the wire on , well there is no traces of paint on the wire.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Man, I really wish you would start posting helmets on the forum before you buy them. You need to get a refund.
    Hi, thanks for your views, it would help if you gave some explanation to back up your categorical statement.

?

Quote by reichss View Post
    To say the helmet has been painted wiith the wire on , well there is no traces of paint on the wire.
    Ok, pics can be a little tricky. I still do not think the wire is original, for reasons mentioned.

Well, it's still worth something, as a collector item, I have been burned for 400£ once, I was bitter until now, when I though, everyone makes a mistake

No problem,

This shell should not be a factory issued no-decal helmet, first off. The wire is new and has no real patina. The chinstrap and liner are both reproductions. The finish, both in color and texture, is incorrect. Throw that all together with some light artificial aging and you've got yourself a fake helmet that was made to deceive.

Please get a refund and be sure to post your helmets here on the forum before you buy them. Also, do yourself a favor and study as many original wire helmets as you can find.

As a collectors item, its not worth much as most collectors go for original items only. The only market for something like this would be for re-enactors or simply someone looking for a talking point etc... I'm going to have to agree that its a post 1945 put together. If a helmet has had chicken wire added to it, typically its involved in combat as an effort has been made to camouflage it, but look at this helmet, doesnt look like its seen any form of use. The liner and chinstrap don't look to have any wear that would be associated with being used. The paint and wire I cannot comment on, but they don't seem to have genuine wear from use like the liner and chinstrap.

Sorry that its bad news, if you are never 100% about something just walk away. You cannot be too careful with TR Militaria.

Thanks

Danny

Edit: and it looks like Mo has beaten me to it

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast