Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M40 camo wired

Article about: Recently purchased I had to make an on the spot decision, I believe it to be original and the wire and helmet shows no rust. Manufacturer ET 64, No: 237.

Default Re: M40 camo wired

The twist in the wire is all wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40  camo wired
    P
    Many

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    No problem,

This shell should not be a factory issued no-decal helmet, first off. The wire is new and has no real patina. The chinstrap and liner are both reproductions. The finish, both in color and texture, is incorrect. Throw that all together with some light artificial aging and you've got yourself a fake helmet that was made to deceive.

Please get a refund and be sure to post your helmets here on the forum before you buy them. Also, do yourself a favor and study as many original wire helmets as you can find.
    I can't see why the liner and chin straps are repro's and why not a factory issued helm?
    Last edited by reneblacky; 01-07-2012 at 02:30 AM. Reason: added question

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I can't see why the liner and chin straps are repro's
    The stitching is incorrect, and both the stitching and the stamp are features of common reprodictions that are manufactured in Europe. The chinstrap has artificial wear and that plus the fact that the liner is fake would lead me to believe that the chinstrap isn't original either.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    The stitching is incorrect, and both the stitching and the stamp are features of common reprodictions that are manufactured in Europe. The chinstrap has artificial wear and that plus the fact that the liner is fake would lead me to believe that the chinstrap isn't original either.
    I still don't see a problem with the liner (most of my liners have had this type of stamp) or chin strap or is it that I've never had a repro liner?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40  camo wired  
    Last edited by reneblacky; 01-07-2012 at 04:23 AM.

Going by the wire twist it is correct for a European WW2 period chook wire ref-Ludwig Baer's "The History of the German Steel Helmet 1916-1945" pg149

Quote by johnhmcgary View Post
    The twist in the wire is all wrong.
    Hi, thanks for your comment. Doing some research it appears to me to be WW11 era zinc plated, five twist small hex wire. Wartime era wire was apparently manufactured in multiple gages and hex styles. The interior and exterior paint is identical.

Correction I meant to say large hex.

Hi , thanks for your comment, as I say, with some research it looks to be original WW11 era zinc plated, five twist large hex wire. Would appreciate you backing up your statement with some facts as I am keen to learn.

Quote by reichss View Post
    Hi , thanks for your comment, as I say, with some research it looks to be original WW11 era zinc plated, five twist large hex wire. Would appreciate you backing up your statement with some facts as I am keen to learn.
    Was this directed at me?
    Last edited by reneblacky; 01-07-2012 at 03:27 AM. Reason: deleted text

Hi Rene, no the comment was not directed at you, I agree with your views. Brad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast