Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M40 Chinstrap

Article about: Most liners up to 66 shells have only 8 fingers mate, the smaller ones sometimes have fewer than 8. I have a 66/59 with 8.5 fingers, as they get bigger the 9th finger grows. I've seen 9.5 fi

Default Re: M40 Chinstrap

Most liners up to 66 shells have only 8 fingers mate, the smaller ones sometimes have fewer than 8. I have a 66/59 with 8.5 fingers, as they get bigger the 9th finger grows. I've seen 9.5 fingers in the biggest 70 shells if I remember correctly.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Chinstrap
    P
    Many

?

Yes i know about the 8 and 9 finger/tongue liners, but i have also seen some discussions on larger leathers being down sized if remember correctly. I am just trying to gather "ammo" for my haggling campaign on Saturday

?

Dont forget, that liners could be changed in the field with what was available, the 9 finger in a smaller sized shell does'nt really bother me so much, I've seen that configuration before in totally genuine helmets, the leather on this piece is what concerns me, to me it appears aged with no real proper wear and tear also the the fact that it is a 9 finger liner that FITS snug in a smaller shell and not wrinkled around the edge of the inner band, the chin strap, unless it it was a completely unissued item, has the fluffy edges which if worn over time would disappear, one other point that has been raised before on liners is there are no stretch marks in the liner ventilation holes, which could mean a newly fitted item, or a liner leather that was never used until recently, both of which could mean repro or replaced, another point that ive just noticed, the ventilation holes in the liner have been cut with a fairly blunt tool and on some of the tongues the holes are larger!!!!, this surely would'nt happen in factory made examples.
    If you can lift the liner and look at the rear of the seam you should be able to see how big the seam overlaps are as this could mean that its a 9 and a half tongue, which makes no sense due to the seemingly good overall fit around the inner band and the tongue edges look badly cut

?

I agree that the leather does not look modified or worn. I think there is good chance that the C S and leather is repro/fake. I guess i have to check it out again on Saturday. Again, thank you all for your time

Regards, Lars

?

Lars , read my last post again i've had to edit it as i noticed something else

?

Thank you for the advice Dave. I will try and do that

The vent hole on the shell is a bit lo large imo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2