Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M40 DD Heer helmet for review

Article about: The paint is M35 tone, I'd wager all the parts are 1940 or earlier dated since it is an M40 with M35 specs.

Default Re: M40 DD Heer helmet for review

The paint is M35 tone, I'd wager all the parts are 1940 or earlier dated since it is an M40 with M35 specs.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 DD Heer helmet for review
    P
    Many

the tricolor shield looks like a Q shield to me it has that break in it but its sharp and the bottem of it has that lighter point not round.

I appreciate your response folks, will see if I can negotiate something with the seller and keep you up to date

Thanks again, Chris.

?

The tricolor is sanded, look closely at the first photo of it and I don't like it. It's strange the seller claims to know nothing of militaria, one of the pictures shows the helmet on a zeltbahne, which to me means collector. The 5 digit number painted on the back is a FP number, have you run that number? Pinned in the SS helmet section is where to go to do that. Also I do not like the wear on the eagle. Scrubbed off but no damage not a scratch to the paint underneath, just the typical way a Q seems to spot rust. Nothing conclusive yet I see to say 100% fake as other questions need answering. The lot number the seller should be able to be easily read, tell him it's in the back of the skirt. The fact the seller says he knows nothing of militaria but has this on a zelt, claims he can't read the lot number and where it is priced are red flags to me. I'm not convinced on the tricolor and to be honest not even the wear on the eagle.

- edit, I looked to see if I can read the lot number and there looks to be a 0 there, but this lot number can be easily read. You want this number.

Quote by DougB View Post
    The tricolor is sanded, look closely at the first photo of it and I don't like it. It's strange the seller claims to know nothing of militaria, one of the pictures shows the helmet on a zeltbahne, which to me means collector. The 5 digit number painted on the back is a FP number, have you run that number? Pinned in the SS helmet section is where to go to do that. Also I do not like the wear on the eagle. Scrubbed off but no damage not a scratch to the paint underneath, just the typical way a Q seems to spot rust. Nothing conclusive yet I see to say 100% fake as other questions need answering. The lot number the seller should be able to be easily read, tell him it's in the back of the skirt. The fact the seller says he knows nothing of militaria but has this on a zelt, claims he can't read the lot number and where it is priced are red flags to me. I'm not convinced on the tricolor and to be honest not even the wear on the eagle.

- edit, I looked to see if I can read the lot number and there looks to be a 0 there, but this lot number can be easily read. You want this number.
    Hi Doug,
    Thanks for your reply I have just ran the FP number using the link in your sticky and the following was the result:

Field postmark 1939-1945: 12,777 (FIELDPOST II.WK)
    User: Post Office | Use as: posting stamp, date stamp 1.9.1939-1.1.1940 7th Driving column column 211th infantry division 28.4.1940-14.9.1940 4. Driving column infantry division column 162, 30.12.1943 not used, 22/01/1945 regimental headquarters and 13.-14. Kompani 762nd Infantry Regiment
    Type: single circle / shape: circular temple
    Use of time: 1.9.1939 to 21.5.1945

Which seems to match date wise (it is the first time I have researched any FP number so not sure if the name can be matched with the number somewhere). Could you tell me where you think you can see the lot number? I think I can see something between the H&K lettering and liner band?? If I can direct him straight to them it might help. The fact that the guy didn't know much about militaria was more of an assumption by me as he didn't seem to know what model the helmet was but it seems he is more in to collecting arms rather than lids?!? who knows?!?
    The price does definitely ring alarm bells and there seems to be a mixed bag of opinions about the decals.
    The plot thickens....

Thanks again for taking the time to look at this,

Chris.

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    The paint is M35 tone, I'd wager all the parts are 1940 or earlier dated since it is an M40 with M35 specs.
    I don't agree. Looks like standard Q paint for An M40. The linerband date and lotnr can help date this Helmet.

You're right; it does look like textured paint when I compared it with another.

?

When I looked at the photo of the FP number I think I see an easy to spot 0. That is where the lot number should be. Tell him to slightly dampen a cloth and wipe the rear of the skirt, it helps make these stamped numbers and letters appear by magic. As for the FP database output the date matches so that is good.

What bothers me with this helmet is the wear on the decals to me does not look natural, the aging looks more like tea staining, the sanding of the tricolour, and the lack of any paint damage where there is clear evidence of hard sharp damage to the decals and heavy scrubbing with nothing to the base paint. Just doesn't make sense. The tea staining look could be where my mind is thinking as suspicious combined with less than stellar photographs.

Any M40 Heer DD has to hit all the right buttons I am afraid, it's too easy to turn a SD Heer into a DD or a no decal into a DD, even with period decals. I remain unconvinced at this point especially with it being a Q, never recall seeing a DD Heer Q M40, mind you there are a few SS DD M40 Q's out there, I have owned 5 different examples by my last count.

Go slowly, dont rush. Might be best if you can get it in hand and get real hi quality shots or even USB microscope shots of the decals to share. A real good fake tricolour was listed on a top dealer site not that long ago, it was a high end fake which magnification showed clearly as being of modern print.

Maybe tell the guy youll give him $500 deposit for an in hand examination and the balance if you are satisfied. If he is not a collector he might be good with that arrangement. I have had "regular people" send me helmets for nothing so I can examine them and then I have paid them when I was satisfied the helmet was 100% real and untouched.

Frank, look closely at those claws, what are your thoughts on decal type?

Good advice, Doug. Think I was getting a little too excited with the prospect of this one. I will ask more questions and maybe request an inspection period or a deposit system like you suggest,
    Cheers, Chris.

I can see the "scratch" marks on the national decal but they look more like a bit of over zealous rubbing with a corse cloth than sandpaper to me,i would expect some marking to the helmet paint if a really rough abrasive had been used.That said i mentioned a while back that i am wary as these DD M40's are so rare,it could just be possible these are original decals post war applied,that may explain why the bird has lost such a large proportion of it's decal as later applied original decals do tend to flake quite badly,just my thoughts, Leon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast