Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

M40 Helmet German or not ?

Article about: Guys, I could do we your opinions on a helmet I have had a short while. I got it with the impression of it been made in germany during WW2. But I am having second thoughts. Here are the pict

dave789
    ?

Default M40 Helmet German or not ?

Guys,

I could do we your opinions on a helmet I have had a short while.

I got it with the impression of it been made in germany during WW2. But I am having second thoughts.

Here are the pictures :-

I would like your thoughts on the shell, the liner pins and the liner and liner band. Also the split pins seem a bit different.

Also the obvious holes on the front of the helmet, WHY ?

I can tell you that the liner band has markings of 66 nA 58, bit I can not see any other marker marks or dates.

The shell is as a size mark of 66 but I can not see a letter to connect it to a marker. There is a serial number of JN432 or something like that.

Again thanks for any comments.

Dave

2. # ADS

dave789
    ?

Default Re: M40 Helmet German or not ?

Also I have just noted the liner split pins are a lot longer than the normal size and that this is no washers being used on all three of them.

Any comments on this one for you more experienced guys.

Cheers
    Dave

Hi Dave, the liner is certainly not original to the helmet and the leather is not original to the band either.

The two holes to the front I cannot explain: if it was an M35 I would have said it had seen use by the Spanish Army with their eagle badge to the front, but they only used M35's to the best of my knowledge?

The basic shell will be original.

Cheers, Ade.

three letters B.G.S i have one like it ..the early BGS had a crest on the front (i have seen 2 with the crest) my crest was gone when i got my helmet..I sanded it down and repainted it for reenacting

schnellmann
    ?

Quote by theduke635 View Post
    three letters B.G.S i have one like it ..the early BGS had a crest on the front (i have seen 2 with the crest) my crest was gone when i got my helmet..I sanded it down and repainted it for reenacting
    Could you send a foto of the crest? I know a lot of people beside me would like to see it!

Quote by schnellmann View Post
    Could you send a foto of the crest? I know a lot of people beside me would like to see it!
    I dont have a pic of the crest .. mine didnt come with one but it had the 2 "attachmet points" on the front like the one pictured..from what i have read this helmet is known as the M1935-53 and many people have tried to pass them off as origanal world war 2 helmets..this helmet is not to be confused with the early "rivet-less" BGS helmet .. I know of 2 companys right now tring to pass off these M1935-53's as "autentic world war 2 nazi helmets found in a storage space yada yada"