Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

m40 helmet question

Article about: hello i'm in possesion of an attached helmet my question is about the markings on refill and strap(BR SN and code) i guess that this is a maker mark mark but wich one?this is my first helmet

Default m40 helmet question

hello
    i'm in possesion of an attached helmet
    my question is about the markings on refill and strap(BR SN and code)
    i guess that this is a maker mark mark but wich one?this is my first helmet
    best regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture m40 helmet question   m40 helmet question  

m40 helmet question   m40 helmet question  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement m40 helmet question
    P
    Many

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Mike, both the the decal and the paint are definitely bad, and I also think that the liner and chin strap are reproductions. If you can return the helmet do so as soon as you can. Sorry for the bad news, but from what I see other than the shell there is nothing real on this piece. In the future post pictures of a prospective purchase before parting with your hard earned money. Also, pick up a reference book (Ken N.'s is the best out there), read it, go to shows and handle as many helmets as you can, and arm yourself with knowledge of the basics. It will pay off in the long run. Jim G.

Agree with above post. Shell is okay...paint, decal, liner not original

@Michal - i'm sorry that your M40 is not as original as you may have hoped (at least it wasn't an SS helmet...)

@ David, Jim - when I looked at the liner it immediately raised flags for me - just looked too new, not how other liners look.
    The decal - first look I thought it was OK. Then I compared to other decals. I'm guessing it is trying to be a Pocher? But the beak is all wrong - missing the top notch. The eye has no eyeball. The feathers are not pointy enough (especially on the breast) and the talons are not right either.
    Where these the points you also saw, or am I off here?

Thanks
    Nick

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    @Michal - i'm sorry that your M40 is not as original as you may have hoped (at least it wasn't an SS helmet...)

@ David, Jim - when I looked at the liner it immediately raised flags for me - just looked too new, not how other liners look.
    The decal - first look I thought it was OK. Then I compared to other decals. I'm guessing it is trying to be a Pocher? But the beak is all wrong - missing the top notch. The eye has no eyeball. The feathers are not pointy enough (especially on the breast) and the talons are not right either.
    Where these the points you also saw, or am I off here?

Thanks
    Nick
    Hi Nick

That decal really resembles no known maker of Heer decals. Not even close. There is a repro ET decal & a repro Q decal that are not bad if applied properly & aged convincingly. But this one is just an oddball.

The liner one could tell without looking further was post war from the white "felt or foam" inside padding. Should be a gray felt material, plus a couple other issues

Thanks David - it all adds to the knowledge bank.
    I hope Michal did not pay too much and is able to return.

Nick

Hi Michal, sorry, but I agree 100% with Jim and David, a re-worked shell with a fake decal, liner and chinstrap. I am not even sure that the liner pins are all original as one in particular looks very "fat" and protrudes out against the steel. Leon.

thats interesting i have a m40 hkp 66.
    this helmet is a m40 hkp 64.
    but what i found different is the fact the hkp stamp is on the side not the rear.
    my helmet is a very low lot number so would this be the last of the m40 batches befor the change to the m42. ?

thank You for the numerous answer
    the helmet was a some kind of ''filler''for a bigger bayonet exchange,so after a calcultion it was costed me about 100$
    it was in my friend collection for about 25 years.i think if i resell it for that amount and give the info that i received here,no one will have a problem.
    or maybe i will keep it like a warning.
    best regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast