MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M40 Luft Camo opinions

Article about: Hey everybody I’ve kept a eye on this camo for a while and always had my doubts about it especially with the strange big letters that someone put on it. Maybe the allied soldier that picked

MAP
    ?

I'm looking at it again on my PC. From the "bigger" screen, I'm liking it much more.... still would want to see it in hand.

I will say, who ever painted this had a very fine and steady hand and a small brush. The camo around the eagle goes write up to the edges.
    Last edited by MAP; 09-17-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Luft Camo opinions
    P
    Many

I examined the photos once again and it looks like there 'may' be green paint over rust, but it could also just be over war time scratches.
    Hard to say either way. This does possibly suggest the idea that the tan paint was done earlier than the green paint?

I also notice what look like sticker marks around the Loop paint - possibly from a mail home sticker?

M40 Luft Camo opinions

Wow nice observation houndstooth! I’m not sure what that is but it does seem like something was taped down in a square shape at first I thought it was just the white paint aging but as you said with a closer look it looks like a label was once there.

Also another couple of things I’ve noticed and wanted to ask is

1. I circled the random white paint spot that has a chip in it and the chip seems as old as the rest of the wear so would this have to be done when the other scrapes occurred so when the soldier was wearing it before a Allied soldier got it. But why would a soldier put a big white target on his head?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Luft Camo opinions  

If the white paint, the Loop, and other accidental white marks were put there by an Allied soldier, it could have happened in late 1945. The green paint may have been applied in 1943 or 1944. So 75 years later expect the paint to appear of similar age. Scratches, such as you show may have happened anytime post war, so equally could be old marks.

Once you start to question every scar and scrape in detail it is perhaps best to leave the helmet where it is.
    I have never seen a topic where scars are zoomed in upon come to any sort of conclusion because you just don't know the circumstance and the object that caused it (and when).
    Everything together needs to make sense and show age.

I also believe there are a lot of theories on how paint and rust should act that are not based on factual findings.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post

I also believe there are a lot of theories on how paint and rust should act that are not based on factual findings.

That said I think we could all agree that "paint over pitting" is an issue LoL, despite what a certain member (who was shown the door) was asserting
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

And conveyor belts...

TWS
    ?

Slightly off topic, but I saw a video of a "drive through" winter camo paint job. A German Landser on a Kettenkrad drove up to another holding a paint brush and a bucket of white paint or whitewash. As the Kettenkrad driver remained seated on the machine, the other soldier hastily brushed white paint on his helmet and then he drove off. Take that McDonald's!

No doubt it was a stunt for the Kriegsberichter film reel, but funny nonetheless.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3