MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M40 Luft with Netting

Article about: Here's an M40 I've owned for a few years now. The paint is a bit salty but everything is there. I love this helmet. It has definately been there! Comes complete with it netting, liner, chin

MAP
    ?

Quote by timothy View Post
    Nice honest combat helmet MAP that net looks like New Zealand or Aussi issue with the construction and knot on the top or it appears as such from examples I have seen and read about anyway it is OK as Germans used plenty of captured allied nets and that one appears to have been part of the helmet a long time Nice Set! timothy
    Timothy,

Was always wondering about that odd knot on top. I was thinking that this was made made out of some discarded material by the soldier. It appears to be Jute twine or Hemp. Very course, like straw and as such not something that would withstand alot of wear and tear or something I would expect to be issued equiptment. I could be totally wrong however.

What are the NZ or Aussi nets made out of? I thought they were cotton.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Luft with Netting
    P
    Many

Hello MAP done some checking since reading your post and I believe they are made of a tight twine I found one on a cammo helmet in Branislav Radovic Vol 2 wire,netting and covers,straps pages 346 to 349 a lot of collectors are critical of Radovic books on the helmets I have all three volumes and I find myself most of the assessories like the netting etc are ok that one in there looks similar yours to me. Some where here on the forum I saw a example of one posted in the UK section Radovic states he is not sure if it is British Aussie or NewZealand. Not saying it is but construction is similar to yours there may have been various types of these as with all of these nets. timothy

MAP
    ?

Hello MAP done some checking since reading your post and I believe they are made of a tight twine I found one on a cammo helmet in Branislav Radovic Vol 2 wire,netting and covers,straps pages 346 to 349 a lot of collectors are critical of Radovic books on the helmets I have all three volumes and I find myself most of the assessories like the netting etc are ok that one in there looks similar yours to me. Some where here on the forum I saw a example of one posted in the UK section Radovic states he is not sure if it is British Aussie or NewZealand. Not saying it is but construction is similar to yours there may have been various types of these as with all of these nets. timothy
    Excellent. It is a twine and it has the knot so this lead me to believe you are right. Add's a nice piece to the history of the helmet!

Thanks for the detective work!

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Enjoy your fine posts you show some really nice articles. timothy

MAP
    ?

Enjoy your fine posts you show some really nice articles. timothy
    thank you very much. Greatly appreciate the feedback.

I don't specialize in anything so it is difficult to become an expert in anything. I try to get items that have a history/story behind them.

That said I do have a wish list (which I'm sure everyone does -a) main rifles and pistols from each major country that participated in WWII, b) nice HBT Wehrmacht uniform c) a really good DD M35, e) Kriegs helmet and on and on!)

I'm very lucky to have a trusted dealer who gives me first shot and fair prices and a VERY understanding wife!

Michael

MAP
    ?

Plus.....after all the years of collecting I'm so glad I found WRF. I can not say enough how great this forum is. The amount of knowledge and support from everyone is absolutely amazing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2