Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 Luftwaffe Opinions

Article about: Hey guys, I was wanting to add a couple Luftwaffe M40's to my collection since I only have army at this point. These were being offered as a lot of two. I know one is missing the liner rivet

Default M40 Luftwaffe Opinions

Hey guys, I was wanting to add a couple Luftwaffe M40's to my collection since I only have army at this point. These were being offered as a lot of two. I know one is missing the liner rivets but I wanted opinions on the decals. They seem very clean and almost identical. I noticed a bit of outline or shadow around one of them. Can anyone comment on if they appear original to the helmets? Thanks

-Jerry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Luftwaffe Opinions   M40 Luftwaffe Opinions  

M40 Luftwaffe Opinions   M40 Luftwaffe Opinions  

M40 Luftwaffe Opinions  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Luftwaffe Opinions
    P
    Many

They look to be good. Luftwaffes are common and the price should reflect the one with liner pins missing. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Ooh goody, a helmet thread. I was getting bored with their absence of late.
    As Marty says, they look good but really sharp close photos of those birdies are needed....
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thanks guys. The decal pics are about as good as I can get from the seller. He was asking $800 on the pair and I figured it to be pretty fair. I think I can get the rivets for maybe $30.

Did you happen to notice the faint outline around one of the birds? What is that from? Repaint or decal replacement maybe?

In my opinion 800 is to high. Remember the pins will always be replaced pins and more than likely will not match. As Dan stated closer pictures of the decal would be nice to confirm without a doubt that the helmet are authentic. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by JerryB52 View Post
    Did you happen to notice the faint outline around one of the birds? What is that from? Repaint or decal replacement maybe?
    Thats a result of few things made when applying the decal and age; first example when the decal is placed and then "moved" (like, it slips because of the glue under it is not yet dry and the glue leaves the "trail"), and the second one the protective coat on it; it will go dark with age and the decal looks like it has an aura around it.

Also its noted on reissued helmets, but thats a result of an another decal under it, since sometimes the paint over it is thin or it starts to develop micro cracks and starts peeking through.
    Last edited by LeonardoL; 08-17-2016 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Typo

So you are saying these decals are reproduction or a reissue?

Reissue is fine, just meaning returned to depot, refitted &reissued. But thats why close crisp photos are needed to confirm things. If you are giving him 800 bills i would expect some better images or a right of return if you are not happy with the helmets in hand.
    Regards Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by JerryB52 View Post
    So you are saying these decals are reproduction or a reissue?
    Repro - no. Reissue - since both look like Quist to me we will need to see the lot numbers and more pics of the liner band to safely say are they or are they not reissues; both have the heavy textured later paint, but Quist was the only manufacturer that continued to produce the M40 up to early 1945 so that fits the aggenda.

But both decals are 100% ok. I would still like few more pics of the liner pins just to make sure they are not messed with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast