Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 SD Army

Article about: Hello all, I've recently blew this years miliaria budget on this helmet as I don't see myself being able to go to many antique shows this year. Also, I just want to say thank you to MAP and

Default M40 SD Army

Hello all, I've recently blew this years miliaria budget on this helmet as I don't see myself being able to go to many antique shows this year. Also, I just want to say thank you to MAP and everyone else who gave their opinion to me on this helmet they were all very helpful. As the title says this is an M40 single decal army helmet made by NS size 64, the lot number is 0158 or 0150 (can't tell if that last digit is an 8 or 0). I've always wanted to get an army helmet with its original finish intact and besides a few marks and that rust patch it's in great shape, also the M40 was the last of the big 3 WW2 models I was missing as well. The chinstrap is broken, but it's all still there as well. If this looks a little familiar that's because it was listed on Ken Ns site as item 703. After this helmet I don't see myself getting anymore WW2 German helmets unless its an upgrade (still looking for an early luft decal M35) as I've run out of space and I still need to get an ssh-39/40 as well as an MK3 turtle to get a helmet from each of the major European powers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 SD Army   M40 SD Army  

M40 SD Army   M40 SD Army  

M40 SD Army   M40 SD Army  

M40 SD Army  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 SD Army
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

It arrived! A nice solid helmet! Congrats

I've always liked the shape of the NS 64 shell

Now that you have it in hand, how is the liner? Still soft? And the split pins check out?

Lot number is most likely 0158
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    It arrived! A nice solid helmet! Congrats

I've always liked the shape of the NS 64 shell

Now that you have it in hand, how is the liner? Still soft? And the split pins check out?

Lot number is most likely 0158
    The split pins feel good, weirdly the one that sticks out a little bit doesn't feel loose at all. The liner is still pretty soft, but I'm still going to keep my hands away from it if I have to move it again. Just wondering how do NS shells differ from the other makers? I have mine next to the Quist M35 and CKL M42 so I can't compart it to another makers M40.

I do remember seeing this one on Ken’s site a little while ago.
    A good solid example of an SD M40.
    Congratulations,
    Andy

Just on moving your helmet, I always wear a pair of white cotton gloves just to prevent any acid or oils from my hands getting on them. That way the paint should stay nice and subdued.
    Andy

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Just on moving your helmet, I always wear a pair of white cotton gloves just to prevent any acid or oils from my hands getting on them. That way the paint should stay nice and subdued.
    Andy
    Now I have some nice honest untouched Helmets but I do not have a M35 MINT DD Kriegsmarine (Or Insert your flavor here) for example and I do not adhere to this rule. Also I have limited space in a city apartment so while a couple are displayed ... An few nice Stahlhems are in the closet in boxes. So I move them quite a bit to switch up displays. Mint or not I want to keep these examples untouched and 'Un-Crapped Up" ...for lack of a better term.... and not add to any deterioration. So my Question is ... Am I being a fool not following these practices? I guess I could grab a clean dishtowel and use that.

Whats the general consensus here?

Also sorry Politefaun to Hijack here it just came up in your thread. The helmet is great and congrats on its arrival!. Id argue that the SD Heer M40 is more Iconic of a German Helmet over the M42.... Just my opinion of course. Great pickup!

-Zach

A nice pickup! No nonsense, just a good honest SD Heer helmet.

I've always used cotton gloves for handling metal objects. If museums follow the practice when handling items in their collections, it stands to reason that private collectors should do it as well. Over time, human skin oils can cause severe damage to metals. I have a Tokarev pistol that I used to handle without gloves, and some areas around the grip and on the slide are now permanently stained. Lesson learned. I've followed the practice ever since. If you handle a helmet without gloves, it would be best to at least give it a wipe down afterwards.

Regards, B.B.

Nice solid helmet - i think you did well here.
    Nick

?

Contact World War 2 German Helmets
    Scroll down to the helmet identification section which is the only attempt I've seen to differentiate between them.
    It's a subtle contrast which I still cant get my head around.
    Good luck.

Very nice helmet you got there, definitely one I am planning to get in the future, too (that is a SD Heer)
    I'd personally say the lot number is D.158 as NS used the D prefix quite often on their lot numbers.
    Luis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast