Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M40 SD Heer Reissues

Article about: I pulled out the reissues this morning and thought I would present a brief overview of SD Heer reissues. All are WWI shells refurbished from 1940 through 1943 when application of decals was

Default M40 SD Heer Reissues

I pulled out the reissues this morning and thought I would present a brief overview of SD Heer reissues. All are WWI shells refurbished from 1940 through 1943 when application of decals was discontinued. I classify these as “reissues” rather than “transitionals” because each has a single decal, each is fitted with a steel banded liner with rounded chin strap bales, and each has been repainted with a rough field gray combat paint. These characteristics clearly establish that these helmets were refurbished AFTER 1939. To me, transitional helmets are those WWI shells refurbished in the early 1930’s, before the introduction of the model M35. Transitional helmets usually are double decal, and have the original WWI liners or aluminum banded (single banded or reinforced) M31 style liners with squared chin strap bales, refurbished pre war during the early days of the Reich when helmet supply was short. Anyway, in the order of presentation:
    1- M16
    2- M18
    3- M17 Austrian
    4- M18 Ear Cut Out
    5- M18 Ventless
    If anyone want to add theirs please do, but ONLY single decal Heer REISSUE examples please. Looking forward to seeing many more in this thread. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 SD Heer Reissues   M40 SD Heer Reissues  

M40 SD Heer Reissues   M40 SD Heer Reissues  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 SD Heer Reissues
    P
    Many

More pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 SD Heer Reissues   M40 SD Heer Reissues  

The ventless M18

Great post and explanation of the difference between transitional helmets and re-issues Jim - thank you!

And an impressive collection of examples. I have never seen a ventless German helmet in the form of an Imperial Steel Helmet. Do you know approximately when this one would have been made and the rationale behind the ventless design? For parade perhaps? I can only imagine on warm days they would have become quite hot inside.

Thanks for showing.

Andy

Fantastic helmets mate! That little bit of reissue vs transitional info is something extra I didn't know before. That Vent-less must be rare as rocking horse sh*t!
    Many thanks,
    Harvey

Hi Andy, I think the ventless M18's were late WWI and the vent was probably omitted to simplify the manufacturing process. Regarding the effect of no vents on the comfort of the wearer, I must have half a dozen WWI combat helmets on which the soldier plugged the vents with mud, wood and other materials. I suspect the absence of the vents didn't have a significant impact on the comfort of the wearer. Maybe Terry or Ron or Frank have more information regarding when and why ventless helmets were made. Anyway, glad you like the thread. Jim G.

MAP
    ?

Here is mine Jim.

As you can see, this one definitely saw plenty of heavy use.

M17 Austrian reissue single decal helmet. Sized 64. No maker mark. Top dome stamped 475. Two nice dents on top.

Decal appears to be a Gustav Peiniger

You can see the lighter original green paint under the re-issue Feldgrau.

Initials penned into liner "OP" maybe. And "F K" scratched into rear skirt.

M31 reinforced aluminum liner, marked B&C Berlin 1939. Pins are unmessed with the helmet as you can see was well worn and the liner shakes and rattles.

M40 SD Heer Reissues

M40 SD Heer Reissues

M40 SD Heer Reissues

M40 SD Heer Reissues

M40 SD Heer Reissues

M40 SD Heer Reissues

M40 SD Heer Reissues

M40 SD Heer Reissues
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very nice MAP! And great photos too!

Andy

MAP
    ?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Very nice MAP! And great photos too!

Andy
    Took these photos real quick last night. It was a "cooperative" helmet. LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)