Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M40 Snow Camo

Article about: In thinking of this helmet was as worn as it is made out to be, the ink stamped 56 on the liner is really really dark and clear. I dont see any wear on the ink stamp. It's a small observatio

Default Re: M40 Snow Camo

In thinking of this helmet was as worn as it is made out to be, the ink stamped 56 on the liner is really really dark and clear. I dont see any wear on the ink stamp. It's a small observation but it's what I noticed right off the bat.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Snow Camo
    P
    Many

?

Here is some pics of a really good condition M42. Eyelets are not stretched even it had been worn in Denmark during WW2. But they also do not look pinched/pierced. Rivets are tight so to speak. Just something for comparison and reference. It' a vet bring back taken from a POW by one of my friends grand father.

M40 Snow Camo M40 Snow Camo

I am looking at the helmet liner right now and it does look like the eyelits have been punctured through somehow. That is a very good observation. But still, it is hard for me to believe the liner is a reproduction because of the smell and the feel. It has that 1940's smell that all my other German helmet's liners have and I believe it is made with the same material. Does anybody have any other opinions of the paint or liner? What about the chinstrap?

Regards, Corey

?

Here is a good chinstrap for comparison.

Thanks guys for all of your help so far. I would like to wait and get a few more opinions.

Regards, Corey

?

White and this faded color is tough to photograph but this looks like an unmessed with winter camo and I've no problems with this liner. In PM with cgp it sounds like the camo is over the decal not under. I think this ones a good one but it needs an in hand like any white camo.

Apologies Corey if I was doubting too early in the discussion.
    I defer to the more experienced in this forum and need to keep learning myself!

Cheers, Dan

Don't apologize Dan, your opinion is very much appreciated. I must admit that I was just as skeptical as everybody else after seeing the first thread on this helmet. We are all learning, we never stop learning.

Regards, Corey

?

It pays to have a healthy skepticism in this hobby. Every collector has their own comfort level and experiences as well with different items and certainly one shouldn't collect based upon one mans opinion and my opinion is certainly not gospel. The challenge I think is for collectors to have a foundation for their opinion and the posts here are well thought out. Cpb has this in hand and that is so critical to an item like this over photos, after a couple PMs it answered some concerns, is the decal over or under the camo paint, and the liner stretching looks fine to me but that's just my opinion. I've had the chance to handle a lot of real winter camos the past couple years, in fact it's my current area of study as its the most difficult to judge. I feel this is a very faded white but the fading is thinner where I'd expect it around the liner pins and some recesses for example. I'd love to examine this with a good loupe.
    Anyway please feel free to like or dislike it, I think it has a good chance however!
    Cheers
    Doug

?

You need to see what the date is on the liner band.The lot number on the helmet will indicate when it was made.The decal and the paint is fine on that helmet i think
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Snow Camo  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast