Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 Textured Overpaint, Named, w/curious ink stamp.

Article about: I found this one locally a few months ago. I have some info on the bring back veteran, but not all that much. As always all input and comments greatly appreciated. EF 64 Lot # 5077 Heavy tex

?

Default M40 Textured Overpaint, Named, w/curious ink stamp.

I found this one locally a few months ago. I have some info on the bring back veteran, but not all that much. As always all input and comments greatly appreciated.

EF 64
    Lot # 5077
    Heavy textured overpaint
    Named to “Stoll”
    1940 dated liner band
    Shortened chinstrap
    Excellent liner

There is a partially readable, typed paper label in the crown – Uffz Jo “n” or “h” and “Ahrweiler”. I’ve enhanced it to show detail (see picture)

There is a curious circular ink stamp on the liner leather that I have not been able to decipher – “Wehrm???????” over the city of Ahrweiler. (see Picture)

Possibly a military district? Any help deciphering would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Textured Overpaint, Named, w/curious ink stamp.
    P
    Many

Hi, a nice M40 with heavy texture over paint. It all looks period to me, as for the ink stamp, I have not seen that before on a liner, but I think that it may be the stamp for the local district administration or alike. Who knows whether that was put on at the time or post war, but it certainly is unusual. Leon.

That is one very nice combat helmet! Jim G.

What info do you have on the vet?

?

Really like this. Love that kind of textured finish.

Really really nice one. Has a great look to it.

?

***UPDATE*** - The stamp appears to be "Wehrmeldeamt" "Ahrweiler" - or Military recruiting office Ahrweiler. Thanks to Terry for deciphering.

Curiously if one googles Wehrmeldeamt Ahrweiler a PDF of Luftwaffe Career Summaries pops up - Coincidentally there is a Jakob Stoll listed in the database. Not sure if it's just a coincidence??? Any Thoughts on research avenues would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to the complete file Luftwaffe Officer Career Summaries, intriguing to say the least. (Thanks to John)

I don't know if Luftwaffe pilots were issued helmets or not, but it would seem logical that they would be issued a helmet during basic training or during early stages of their military career. Agree that the stamps appears to be from a draft board or recruitment station located in Ahrweiler. I don't know how the German recruitment system worked during the period or if a particular station would be specific to a particular branch of the military or all encompassing.

I've always enjoyed researching items and gaining knowledge, this one is no exception. At the very least, I will gain some new knowledge of WWII German recruitment process. ***END UPDATE***
    Regards,
    John

Sounds like you have a very interesting research project about to begin!! Maybe this guy was a well decorated and wounded veteran who now did the recruiting, as he would then be "ground based" he would have needed a helmet for air raids etc?? Just a thought. Leon.

Maybe interesting in this context: A picture from a 'Wehrmeldeamt' in 1941. Staff from Heer and Luftwaffe together in an office. IMO being soldiers they were provided always with a helmet as their indivdual accountrement, regardless of being in a trench of the front line or in an office 'in der Heimat' - at home.

With best wishes
    alter musketier

In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

?

Great photograph, thanks for sharing it!
    Regards,
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast