MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

M42- Camo.

Article about: by RH1941 Harry I dont get it . Its a forum I thought you could show what ever you wanted on a forum. Or did I miss the section where you must meet some pompous standards to post your helmet

Default Re: M42- Camo.

Hey Harry, Dont forget the viking horns, or a plume holder
    I've repainted some postwar messed with lids and put liners in lids without them and oiled a liner with wd40, I'm a biker and it worked, the leather was dry, powdery and falling apart, worked a treat and the odour evaporated after a while. If this makes me a faker or whatever. I recently bought a couple of luft piths and replaced one badge missing on one of them and both missing badges on the other, so to some I have lessened their historical value perhaps? They look better with the badges though, IMO.

Interesting thread

Jerry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42- Camo.
    P
    Many

?

Ok. Here´s my position. An origional helm I beleive should not be touched no matter what the condition is because they are all worth something more important to me. I dont care if it only fetches 2 euros on ebay. If it has no other worth to you other than money than maybe your collecting for the wrong reasons. I know alot of people here who find rusty old lids in the woods and modify them which I think is wrong but still is worth something to me. In the future if someone had my helmet and decided to paint it well I´ll be damned if someone says its not worth anything or historical anymore because I took it to war and I know a few Soldiers who were shot in the head and were saved by their lid! Lee

Hi Lee,
    I agree with your sentiments, everything has indeed a worth. I don't look at my collection and think of value - I think of those who may have worn them into combat and relied on them to save their life. I don't believe in painting pitted dug-up relic lids, you only end up making them look worst. I only have one true relic lid - which I have owned for many years. In monetary terms it's value wouldn't get me a pint of beer. But in sentimental value it is priceless.

Harry

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6