Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M42 camo helmet-real?

Article about: Hello everyone, I just picked up an m2 camo helmet from Britain. I need your keen eyes on this one. Shell markings hpk64 3089 liner split rivets with washers on all 3 rivets.Rivet I checked

Default Re: M42 camo helmet-real?

excellent idea, its sunny out. I will post new pics on a new thread today. Thank you for the post

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 camo helmet-real?
    P
    Many

Quote by Acekevlar View Post
    I absolutely agree with you, should only be done if absolutely necessary, as in this case. The rivet and washer has been returned, the liner is tight as heck to the shell.....which is why I removed the pin in the first place. It was the only way to get the markings. The liner was impossible to move. The other rivets will remain untouched. I was actually surprised to see it marked, so kinda glad I did the procedure.

To all members, as NickD advised, please do not remove objects unless 100 percent certain.

Thanks Nick
    You took out the rivet to get to the markings ? That's absurd. You can easily break a pin and woof your helmet is worth less.
    Untouched is what collectors these days go for.
    Pics are not good enough to authenticate it , it's not a one looker.

Nothing was damaged, and I learned the pin was marked. I have done this a few times, sometimes it is the only way to get the right information. Thank you for the concern, and yes I would be screaming if a pin broke, but that adds to the helmets history also.

Nothing was damaged, and I learned the pin was marked. I have done this a few times, sometimes it is the only way to get the right information. Thank you for the concern, and yes I would be screaming if a pin broke, but that adds to the helmets history also.
    You'll find many helmet collectors will disagree with you. Information comes way second after preservation.

Ditto. If I knew or suspected a lid may be an untouched original,
    I would not go prying about looking for silly details.

Helmet size and lot number are good enough..............
    Regards,

Steve.

Not for all people Steve. Every detail must be pointed out to prove originality. I'm going through that right now. I would love to look at the size and lot number and say yeah its correct. Every authentic piece on the helmet must be able to tie into historical fact, and also knowing that many variations, countless variations exist. To be honest, I did it for the forum guys. If you have nothing to back you up, you will be chewed apart. This way you guys get to see everything at my expense. In this field, receiving acceptance of a new original helmet is a difficult task without proof. So I hope you understand the insanity behind my motives, plus nothing was damaged. Thank God I didn't try the paint burning test, would give you a heart attack. Just joking my colleague.

Problem is, anyone seriously looking at this helmet now
    is going to say: 'messed with'.................
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 06-01-2011 at 12:49 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Thats why I started this forum, somebody said it Might be messed with. This wa we can prove it and catalogue it. I also write down everything i do to a helmet, including all details about purchase and past provenance. I write this down and keep it with every piece I own.

You think a guy like me did the same thing I did 30. years ago, and now we are saying its tampered with, thats what history is about. Or 20 years from now when the scratches i put into it start to rust, the future owner will have to deal with red rust on the forums.

Treat your objects like a puzzle, CSI stahlhem, did i spell that right?

I say let the future owner find out about the rivet, he might trace it back to me in a hundred years. That way i also am part of this helmet, as you all are who have visited this post. That way maybe ill be remembered someday also, who knows? Sorry for talking so much my friend, we belgians are a different lot all together.

Not for all people Steve. Every detail must be pointed out to prove originality. I'm going through that right now. I would love to look at the size and lot number and say yeah its correct. Every authentic piece on the helmet must be able to tie into historical fact, and also knowing that many variations, countless variations exist. To be honest, I did it for the forum guys. If you have nothing to back you up, you will be chewed apart. .
    Never seen this camo on a WW2 lid myself but I am staying well out of this on.... dont want to be chewed apart

Never be afraid to voice an opinion, join the fun. We are grown men talking about hats, this is not the nuremberg trials. Its like the smart kid in class who never talks, knowledge can be lost do to fear. A good german fears nothing.

As Adolph would say, come join the party.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast