Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M42 Camo sawdust paint? Real? Opinions much appreciated..

Article about: Last one , an M42 steel helmet with what could be rough camo applied...I know camos are a minefield, and difficult to suss out, and very rare... this shell is maker mark ( Indistinct) then 6

I agree with Schwerpunkt, liner is repro (as I stated in post 6), although I think many originate from the Czech Republic where the leather is attached to repro and original liner bands.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Camo sawdust paint? Real? Opinions much appreciated..
    P
    Many

I retract my + vote for the liner looking at it again on something bigger than my phone. Frank is right, the tongues and holes are just wrong. No size stamp as well. Bl*#dy fakers......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi everyone thanks for all the replies....I do appreciate your comments, however a couple of things are not sitting right with me somehow...for example, the rust not looking 70 years old....I know fakers like to do rust spots to give a real aged look to helmet, fake reproduced rust is usually easily wiped off because it hasn't had time to bond with the metal...Real wear has had 70+ years to bond to helmet and rust bleeds through helmet comes from underneath...the rust is not red but brown in colour...BUT if the helmet is a relic or has been left in a damp cellar or shed for a long time after the war the helmet can start to re-rust over showing red rust...this happens as the helmet has not been treated and has been exposed to damp...the rust you can see is probably no more than 20 years old as it has sat in a dry place for the last 20 years.....don't forget, helmets did not stop rusting in 1945....why should they have.....just my theory that's all,,,,,,,,,Cheers....Tommy...Vive la France.

Dan, thanks for your reply about the helmet receiving a full interior paint job therefore was done with liner out as there isn't any paint on liner ....I don't understand...is the green paint inside not the original factory paint which also lies beneath the camo?....and would have been applied with the liner out...so is that why no paint on liner band? Not saying you are wrong but I thought interior paint is original factory paint, not fake?
    Cheers...Tommy

Quote by Tommyatkins View Post
    but I thought interior paint is original factory paint, not fake?
    Cheers...Tommy
    It is not the original factory paint.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3