MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M42 Chickwire!

Article about: Hello all, I do not know anything about chicken wire on helmets. Is this chicken wire original to this helmet? Thanks.

Default Re: M42 Chickwire!

This looks exactly like a reenacting helmet wire I made up 10 years ago! I used modern chicken wire and short bits of bent coat hanger with loops on the wire. It was lost at an event and never recovered. Hmmmm. NH

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Chickwire!
    P
    Many

Hi, this if definatly a modern addition,there are numerous "scuff & scratch" marks running underneath the wire.If you buy the helmet buy it as a plain single decal heer M42 and carefully remove the wire.It's only use is as a hair net for the wife!! Leon.

?

Quote by dramos View Post
    Doug, is this sort of wire a common fake? Or were there period WWII German helmets with this type of style wire?
    This is a modern wire and there is no "marriage" between the wire and shell. Recent addition. Wire helmets are a dangerous playground and even experienced collectors can disagree if a wire is period applied or not.

?

Thanks for the reply Doug. Has the helmet itself been discussed already? If the chicken wire were removed would we have a good heer m42?

?

Quote by dramos View Post
    Thanks for the reply Doug. Has the helmet itself been discussed already? If the chicken wire were removed would we have a good heer m42?
    There is no photo of the interior and the decal is obscured enough to not tell 100% for sure if it is period although I lean towards that it is good from what is shown. The shell is authentic yes.

Thanks for the help guys! The liner is missing, so I was only interested in it because of the chickenwire. I passed it sold for around $500 USD I believe.

?

Good grief someone paid 400 dollars too much

?

Ple,ase lord make it stop

The modern wire not withstanding, a glaring red flag to my eyes is the tight fit of the wire to the shell. The whole purpose of the chickenwire net was to enable the wearer to stuff vegetation etc into the wire for camoflage purposes so if the wire is fitted so tight that even a feeler gauge won't slip in, I seriously doubt the wire net is authentic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast