Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M42 CKL helmet

Article about: I just got this m42 CKL helmet. As you can see it isn’t pretty and it has black postwar paint. But I got it cheap and it has a pretty good liner and chin strap as you can see. The chin strap

?

Default M42 CKL helmet

I just got this m42 CKL helmet. As you can see it isn’t pretty and it has black postwar paint. But I got it cheap and it has a pretty good liner and chin strap as you can see. The chin strap is marked and though it has lost a few centimeters it is in pretty good condition.

When it comes to the liner I think it is all good but as you can see it have some turquoise mold on a couple of the pins that holds the leather + some of them is smaller than usual. The turquoise could indicate that it is brass pins instead of aluminum. My theory is that it is the person who repainted it which mounted these other pins. I don’t think it is something else, like for example a Norwegian reissue liner.

What do you guys think?

Cheers Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 CKL helmet   M42 CKL helmet  

M42 CKL helmet   M42 CKL helmet  

M42 CKL helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 CKL helmet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M42 CKL helmet

There is a product in the US called " Goof Off " that is pretty good at removing old paint.
    You might try some under the brim by using ooo steel wool rubbing lightly. I tried this on a beat up Japanese helmet that had been painted red once with very good results.

Default Re: M42 CKL helmet

The liner pins look round which would most likely make them post war brass, possibly Norweigan use. Liner could have been dyed red also which would explain the darkness. The strap I'm not sure. Could be a post war strap or a dyed German strap. The large slit opening on the strap for the metal piece that holds the strap ends around the bale looks to be rather big compared to wartime slits. See what conclusions the others come to.