Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M42 CKL62 LW for comment

Article about: Hi, Comments appreciated on this M42 CKL62 Lot#5612 LW thanks. Decal and chinstrap are sus, liner, pins, shell and paint look ok. Thanks Annoyed from this ads?  

The entire helmet has been restored. The only authentic part of it is the shell.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 CKL62 LW for comment
    P
    Many

?

tbk0000 start with the decal. It is a clear modern reproduction and not a very good one at that.
    Then go to the paint. It is not a paint colour used at all by the maker at the period the helmet would have been painted.
    So two obvious signs it is a rework.
    Liner, chinstrap are also reproductions. Then the pitting clearly shows it was in poor condition then restored.
    Best to not deny the obvious and return it asap for a refund.

That "saw tooth" effect on the decal is particularly bad, how on earth would anyone look at that and think it was a good idea to put it on any helmet? A reasonable re-enactors lid but no more. I did not look to closely at the liner I must admit, looked as though it may be a "pig skin" type but on closer inspection the liner band appears very thin and the draw cord is a duffer. Leon.

?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    The decal is absolutely fake. The lot # is in the 5800 range, very late War, so the paint is bad. I don't like the liner or chin strap either. The shell is real, but in my opinion, the rest is post War.
    agree! . Chinstrap and decal are Fake and the blue paint looks post war done!

Thanks for the constructive feedback guys - yes it is a post-war rework. As I said at the beginning I thought the decal and chinstrap were suspect - finally remembered my WHW password and was able to find a direct match for the fake decal and a real chinstrap marking for Wilhelm Ellers Jr. to confirm that they are fakes. As the liner pins were already loose I took the liner out - pins are old and unmarked and the shell has been repainted post-war over the original dark grey. Liner is stiff pigskin with pigskin reinforcements and a B0.56 marking inside - outer band has some age with a poorly stamped makers mark (no date) - can't tell about the inner band although it looks a bit small for the outer band - probably put together with a combination of original and post-war parts. Didn't cost me that much so I'll strip the shell to se what it's like underneath and refurbish it properly. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2