Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M42 Combat Police Helmet Size CKL66

Article about: Hi folks! I'm considering looking at getting a helmet, and again I'm wading into unfamiliar territory. I've been looking through the forum and other sites to try to get a feel for helmets, a

Default M42 Combat Police Helmet Size CKL66

Hi folks!

I'm considering looking at getting a helmet, and again I'm wading into unfamiliar territory. I've been looking through the forum and other sites to try to get a feel for helmets, and I'm getting the feeling I'm stepping up the complexity of critiquing to another level here. So, as to not make this so easy on me as to point blank ask your opinion (though that is still most welcome), I was hoping to give some of my thoughts on this piece, and see if I could get some guidance on helmet shopping.

One of the things I notice about this helmet is the decals are both bordered adler decals, as expected for EF plant produced helmets. In terms of CKL, I suspect that's also common for them?

The number under the dome towards the back starts with a 3 for sure, and I think reads something like "3818". From what I've found, this is in the range of the other examples I've compared, though it sounds like there's some debate on this method of matching to the decals for authenticity.

The inner lining matches other examples I've found, if a bit darker in color than others. String running through it may be modern replacement.

For my eye, I don't see any concerns with repainting except in one spot (shown below), where there seems to be a few patches of a darker gray. I don't know if this indicates it may have been stripped down at some point? The paint is where where my research gets fuzzy. I understand that's a complicated issue, and I'm hoping you all can help me get an idea of how to gauge the paint here. From what I can tell around the rusty spots, the overall coat is the original coat.

Overall condition, it's not perfect, but seems pretty good. There looks to be a small dent above and to the left of the swastika decal, towards the top of the helmet. This could have happened in battle as far as I can tell as the spot looks equally aged to the rest of the piece. Not sure if it detracts from the piece or not.

Seller wants $850, which I have no idea if it's a good deal or not. I've seen helmets being promoted based on decal quality, others more on paint quality, others on the liner, and prices all over the map. I'm sure all are important, but I'm not sure which gets the most weight.

Thanks for your time folks, and the expert guidance as I figure things out. I promise to share what I learn with people who come after me!

Image showing possible second paint coat?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Combat Police Helmet Size CKL66
    P
    Many

Hi, I cannot see any issues with this one myself. The decals look good and have the same level of wear to them as the surrounding paint work. As for the paint itself, it does appear that this left the factory as a slate grey helmet. The green over paint however looks to be correct in shade and texture to me. A bit of an odd one, but I think it is ok, maybe it was up graded at depot level? Leon.

Looks OK to me, price is about right. For me the most important things are, in this order: decal, paint, liner. They should all match up though condition-wise.

Thanks for the responses gents! I appreciate your time and the thoughts on this helmet.

Forgive me for another question, as the paint is where I need to learn the most. When you say it's odd, do you mean that because it seems it was originally slate and is now green?

Scott

Agree with all nice original complete police M-42. timothy

Quote by avenger View Post
    Thanks for the responses gents! I appreciate your time and the thoughts on this helmet.

Forgive me for another question, as the paint is where I need to learn the most. When you say it's odd, do you mean that because it seems it was originally slate and is now green?

Scott
    Hi Scott, what I meant by "odd" was that it is more "unusual" to see this type of over paint rather than the decals being straight on top of the slate grey, but again, I personally do not see any issues with this one at all. The over paint looks completely correct and period done for me. It is a very nice helmet and you could do a lot worse!

looks ok.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Scott, what I meant by "odd" was that it is more "unusual" to see this type of over paint rather than the decals being straight on top of the slate grey, but again, I personally do not see any issues with this one at all. The over paint looks completely correct and period done for me. It is a very nice helmet and you could do a lot worse!
    Ah, yeah I see what you're talking about. I was looking for different paint colors under the decals last night, and noticed it's green under there too. That added to confusion about the slate gray you see in spots.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys. I regret to say I wasn't able to get the helmet before it sold. That said, I was able to learn a lot from this helmet and your comments to apply to the next one, so I'm ahead for the game for that. And I think I have a pretty descent reference here in my thread now to look back on. The hunt continues!

Very nice used helmet, for $850 i would snap it up if it was this side of the pond.

?

I like it too, a nice and complete DD Polizei M42 for that price is worth it IMO.
    You are correct in saying the liner string is not original and would be a later addition, but that by
    no means detracts from this lid.
    I would go for it, you could do a lot worse.

Brad.