Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

m42 fake

Article about: Hey guys. New to the war relic collecting...always wanted to get into it...i aquired this helmet today and was trying to do some online research. I found this web site and figured i would as

?

Default m42 fake

Hey guys. New to the war relic collecting...always wanted to get into it...i aquired this helmet today and was trying to do some online research. I found this web site and figured i would ask here.
    All i have gathered so far is the helmet is a M42..any more info would greatly be appreciated. ..i did notice a faint SS on the helmet. Not sure if that is real or fake.

m42 fakem42 fakem42 fakem42 fakem42 fakem42 fakem42 fakem42 fake

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement m42 fake
    P
    Many

?

Hello coreyh,

Welcome to the forum.

This is looks to me to be a M42 helmet shell which has had the liner and liner band removed, been stripped of its original finish and been repainted sometime, probably quite recently. The SS runes are not from the wartime period. As you will see from earlier forum posts, there are many many threads on here dealing with SS helmets - refer to those if you wish to see what an SS helmet should look like.

Sadly this helmet doesn't have any value for a collector.

Regards,
    Philip

?

Ok thanks..im not looking to sell the helmet and get rich..i got the helmet for free...im just more curious of the history behind it.

?

Quote by coreyh View Post
    Ok thanks..im not looking to sell the helmet and get rich..i got the helmet for free...im just more curious of the history behind it.
    The history was the 'value' that I was referring to, rather than monetary value.

Looks like from photo's a ckl (ET) maker M-42 could be ex Czech fire brigade helmet they used them after war and are often found painted black or repainted post war agree no collector value and little value other than a original shell a reconditioner or reanactor might refurbish. timothy

as said post war used helmet and of no value to a collector. You could make a kid who likes war stuff happy with it.

Certainly OK for free, why not try to carefully strip off the paint with acetone to see if there is any original finish under there!..

Welcome to the forum, the guys have said it all about your M42 shell, but hey, it was free so it is a good starter lid! Leon.

?

Thanks guys for the info. Im gonna strip the paint and try to see original finish..least that will help me learn the history of the gelmet. Then i may restore it to original finish and have a nice peice for my shelf

Nice that you've got no money into it. Can't beat a freebie !
    These are frequently advertised on Ebay for $150+
    depending on size.........
    Regards,

Steve.