Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

M42 helmet - possible volksturm use

Article about: Hi all, Here is an M42, originally a no-decal lid, with double hand rendered static swastikas, possibly indicating use by volksturm personnel, or perhaps foreign volunteers. The liner has be

Default M42 helmet - possible volksturm use

Hi all, Here is an M42, originally a no-decal lid, with double hand rendered static swastikas, possibly indicating use by volksturm personnel, or perhaps foreign volunteers. The liner has been out as there are no washers on the split pins, but the paint on the split pins matches the exterior paint of the pot, so who knows - maybe it was a field replacement? Anyway, I picked this up many years ago at a small militaria show from a table that had edged weapons and badges, but no other helmets. The seller had no idea what the insignia were and said it was acquired for him by a picker, and he had no other information. The insignia has been on the helmet for ever. The maker and size stamps were apparently lightly struck as I cannot find them, but the lot # is 5893. There are ripples in the apron near the rear of the piece from the drawing process, which leads me to believe that this helmet was produced very late during the war. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42  helmet - possible volksturm use   M42  helmet - possible volksturm use  

M42  helmet - possible volksturm use   M42  helmet - possible volksturm use  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42  helmet - possible volksturm use
    P
    Many

Default Re: M42 helmet - possible volksturm use

Nice one looks original to me

?

Love the helmet!

Hello,
    The only photos that i remember showing foreign volunteers wearing helmets with a painted swastika on it, the cross was painted on the front of the helmet and surmounted by a painted inverted chevron.
    IMO it could be an artwork from a GI, postwar painted for a better souvenir as the helmet has no decal...just to show to relatives and civilians back home how nazis were the enemies...just a guess...but i've seen it so many times (liner taken out could be an indication of this possibility).
    I've never seen a photo showing two painted swastikas on helmets worn by Volksstrum members...but i'm not specialized with this organisation...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Guys i think im right in saying this is an se factory m42,later ckl.the vent is like an m35 vent ,but was outwardly stuck ,and i think the se factory are the only ones on the 42 who did this?lv