Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M42 helmet with sauerland decal

Article about: This helmet belongs to a mate of mine. He tells me that it has been knocking around his family for 40 years plus. I sent an image to the Imperial War Museum, the currator of uniforms and equ

asbachbob
    ?

Default M42 helmet with sauerland decal

This helmet belongs to a mate of mine. He tells me that it has been knocking around his family for 40 years plus. I sent an image to the Imperial War Museum, the currator of uniforms and equipment has not seen a decal like this outside of books. The numbers on the skirt are very faint, NS 64 with 541 beneath. On the inside of the liner is D58 along with an A or a Y 11 and a J, difficult to read, i believe its germanic script. I have taken some pics and would appreciate opinions on the authentisity of the helmet and value.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 helmet with sauerland decal   M42 helmet with sauerland decal  

Last edited by asbachbob; 12-09-2010 at 07:50 PM.

2. # ADS

Default Re: M42 helmet with sauerland decal

in my opinion,,,the decal is a good quality reproduction,,,the details seem faint and i dont like the chipping of the decal,,,just my opinion

?

Comparing to an original decal from reference books ,,it looks ok to me, but i think real close ups are needed to see more detail

?

Dave is right much closer photos of the decal are needed as this is a very rare beast !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

There's an original one here: SS_Steel_feature

Yours looks quite good, you might have a very rare helmet!

Much better photo's are needed. The color seems to be a bit off (but that may be the photography), and as others have said, the chipping of the decal in what are certainly critical areas heightens my index of suspicion as well. If it is real, it is one one the rarest TR helmets, as I believe Kelly Hicks says that fewer than 5 or 6 are known to exist. If the decal is fake, I my opinion it is definitely better (perhaps that is not the right word!) than many of the earlier fakes that have shown up. Anyway, before anyone can give you a definitive(?) answer, very detailed, crisp and color true photos will be needed. (Even if you post the pictures, I don't think that I would be qualified to render an opinion one way or the other, as I have only seen one real one in the flesh, and that was over 15 years ago) I wish you luck on this, I hope it is the genuine article. Cheers, Jim G.

I have never seen one other than in photographs. I hope this turns out to be real. What is the value of a Sauerland decaled helmet?

?

Further to what has been said so far, according to your friend, this helmet has been in his family for some 40 odd years, lets assume then that 1965 is a starting date, according to generel concensus, these helmets with this decal had been seen and indeed were in private collections at that time, the idea of a fake decal being produced at that time to such a high standard would be unheard of, also these decals only appeared on NS 1942 helmets , i would think that at that time there was not a high degree of expertise as there is now concerning makers manufacturers no/s etc, apparently the existing helmets in collections at this time are very few some 5-6 known examples and are all NS manufactured, this might prove beneficial in proving authenticity, however this can in no way be proof positive until the helmet in question can be examined personally by a true exponent of the collecting fraternity, personally i would be tempted to take this helmet to the IWM and allow their research dept to conduct the necessary tests in order to confirm authenticity, there are two reasons for this, one, if proved authentic they will issue a certificate to that effect, two, you would have an execptionally rare helmet and decal that collectors would pay top dollar for.

?

I would trust Kelly Hicks or Don L with this helmet way before the IWM. They are a museum not a clearing house of authenticity and if the IWM has a test on a helmet I would sure love to see it.
    Case in point, the War Museums in most countries are littered with fakes.
    Please post detailed clear shots of the decal and the entire helmet in closeup and hi resolution as Jim has said. Perhaps Don L can grace us with his presence.

I keep coming back to this thread, and looking at the decal, which I think has a good chance of being right. I can't wait for the new photos, I am running out of nails to bite. Jim G.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast