Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M42 helmet with sauerland decal

Article about: This helmet belongs to a mate of mine. He tells me that it has been knocking around his family for 40 years plus. I sent an image to the Imperial War Museum, the currator of uniforms and equ

Default Re: M42 helmet with sauerland decal

Sorry for appearing thick on this one guy's, but what's the history behind the Sauerland helmet? Was it a special unit or elite bodyguard, or maybe a crack regiment? It's just that i've never heard of it before.

Thanks, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 helmet with sauerland decal
    P
    Many

first one I have seen, but it is very interesting, can't wait to find out, best of luck to you.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    I would trust Kelly Hicks or Don L with this helmet way before the IWM. They are a museum not a clearing house of authenticity and if the IWM has a test on a helmet I would sure love to see it.
    Case in point, the War Museums in most countries are littered with fakes.
    Please post detailed clear shots of the decal and the entire helmet in closeup and hi resolution as Jim has said. Perhaps Don L can grace us with his presence.
    Doug, yes i agree with the exponents you mention by all means unfortunately the chance of the two examining this decal in person may prove difficult therefore i suggested this course of action as a starting point, the IWM do have a dept that will research and authenticate items as with three samurai swords that a friend took to them, also an ss helmet that another chap took to them, he was issued a certificate and later sold the helmet to a collector who agreed that it was genuine, however i think you will agree that this particular museum does have a very good reputation for displaying original items as their vaults are filled with militaria that has never seen the light of day, a virtual gold mine my father once described it, he had a cousin who worked there many yrs ago and was given the full tour below stairs, but as you say it would be useful for Kelly Hicks and Don L to see this thread along with some excellent close up photos

Quote by big ned View Post
    Sorry for appearing thick on this one guy's, but what's the history behind the Sauerland helmet? Was it a special unit or elite bodyguard, or maybe a crack regiment? It's just that i've never heard of it before.

Thanks, Ned.
    Hi Ned, quite the reverse actually, they were a local defence organisation more akin to the Home Guard.

Cheers, Ade.

Better pictures are needed but I think this one stands a very good chance.

The only place I have seen one is in the old Goodapple and Weinand book. I am looking at it now and on page 137 it has it listed as "very rare" with a value of 450+ US Dollars. Remember that this was back around thirty years ago. At that time and in the same book, they listed a black droop bill transitional SS Double Decal in excelent condition at 1000 dollars. Who knows what a true Sauerland would go for these days? I am going to guess as high as 35,000 dollars. Anybody else want to take a stab at it?

[QUOTE=Who knows what a true Sauerland would go for these days? I am going to guess as high as 35,000 dollars. Anybody else want to take a stab at it?[/QUOTE]

I can tell you this much - if I suggested to my wife that I was considering paying that for a helmet, I wouldn't be able to afford a no-decal relic lid thereafter, all of the rest of my cash would be going towards alimony and court ordered psychiatric treatment. If real it is, however, quite a valuable piece. Jim G.

Me too, Jim. I don't own anything worth 35000+ dollars except for a house that is still the bank's. I have yet to meet a woman who thinks that militaria is anything more than scrap and a toy for adult males who have maturity issues. Still, one can fantasize about owning these beauties beyond our means.

I really would like to see better pictures.very very rare helmet if real.
    love to have one in my collection.

?

Quote by tampalam View Post
    The only place I have seen one is in the old Goodapple and Weinand book. I am looking at it now and on page 137 it has it listed as "very rare" with a value of 450+ US Dollars. Remember that this was back around thirty years ago. At that time and in the same book, they listed a black droop bill transitional SS Double Decal in excelent condition at 1000 dollars. Who knows what a true Sauerland would go for these days? I am going to guess as high as 35,000 dollars. Anybody else want to take a stab at it?
    I do not think a "real" Sauerland helmet in good to very good condition would fetch more than $5000. They are so controversial and they were not an elite unit by any stretch. That being said the first period pic of a Sauerland decaled M42 the price doubles. You would have to have huge gonads to fork out more at this stage and it would have to be an identical match in shell and decal to the one on Kellys site with provenance better than "found in the woodshed by an old guy" or something like that.

Using an uber rare Feldernhalle DD M35 in mint condition sold for $20,000 by Bill Shea last year as a barometer, I think $5k for a "rumoured" helmet (ie no photographic provenance but good circumstantial evidence for about 4 helmets, FHH I believe there are 12 known) is reasonable - but I still wouldn't spend a nickel without bulletproof provenance on the piece first. It almost makes these worthless in a way.

BTW Oakleaf has had a fake one on their site for a looooong time. $4k.

And the above, just my opinion...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast