Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?

Article about: Hi all, The lid itch is getting stronger, could anyone venture an opinion on this piece? The seller mentions that the liner tie is not the one that came with the helmet, but is an original r

Default M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?

Hi all,

The lid itch is getting stronger, could anyone venture an opinion on this piece? The seller mentions that the liner tie is not the one that came with the helmet, but is an original replacement. I'm wondering about the rust beneath the decal, is that a normal effect for worn down emblems? Still learning about this, and have looked at a lot of examples.

If it is genuine, is the sellers price of around 400usd reasonable given its condition?

Many thanks as always gents.

M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Kriegsmarine lid, real?
    P
    Many

Nice looking M42, good liner...I can't comment on the decal...But if it's a good KM eagle, than $400 would be a great price...
    cheers, Glenn

Fake decal. Stay away.

Thanks Schwerpunkt - can you tell me what specifically is off about the decal? I looked at some others and couldn't spot anything glaring.

?

There are scratches under the decal that has been turned into rust, that's a big red flag. Probably an ex SD shell that had it's decal period removed and then someone added a decal postwar.

Ah right... so my beginner suspicion about the rust under the label was right. Thanks for the confirmation sweguy, much appreciated!

Shame, looked like a nice lid otherwise.

Quote by Iron Hussar View Post
    Thanks Schwerpunkt - can you tell me what specifically is off about the decal? I looked at some others and couldn't spot anything glaring.
    Completely wrong graphically and look of the gold pulver.
    Also the wear is a give away.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Fake decal. Stay away.
    As usual Frank is spot on, he just saved you $400! Jim G.

Hi, a terrible decal as the fellas have said, it looks as though this helmet was originally a single decal M42 that had the original decal scratched off, probably during the war judging by the rust and wear. Sometime recently, the fake KM decal has been applied over the top of the rusted and worn area, hence the "halo" of rust around the decal. Leon.

Thanks all, I will add everyone to my beer tally

And thanks for the explanation of the state of the decal, this will definitely help in looking at future items. The search for a lid continues...