Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?

Article about: by Danmark Hi, the liner is unusual being only 8 fingers for a 68 shell ( usually 9 or 9 & bit ) that's why it looks shrunk. The colour would be more discernible without the glare - look

Default Re: M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Hi, the liner is unusual being only 8 fingers for a 68 shell ( usually 9 or 9 & bit ) that's why it looks shrunk. The colour would be more discernible without the glare - looks fine but just wanted to see the finish better.

Dan
    Do you think the liner was added after or is it possible this guys head was so large and they only had "8 finger" liners? LoL, just a thought. I added two more photos of the symbol maybe you can see the finish a little better from those.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?
    P
    Many

I don't want to sound Mr negative but now I can see sort of a 'halo' effect around the decal - maybe an overpaint, maybe its a fake decal .... something just looks odd to me. And I think that is not the original liner but one that has been fitted ...... so now I'm leaning toward a put together lid, sorry
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hmmm... That concerns me since I dropped $600 yesterday for this helmet and an array of other items.

I think the liner is period applied, the condition matches the condition of the shell, plus the newspaper, assuming it is pre May 1945, folded into the liner, certainly suggests to me that the liner has been in place since the War. A clear picture of the decal taken in natural light, but not direct sunlight, will, I am sure, demonstrate that it is real. Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    I think the liner is period applied, the condition matches the condition of the shell, plus the newspaper, assuming it is pre May 1945, folded into the liner, certainly suggests to me that the liner has been in place since the War. A clear picture of the decal taken in natural light, but not direct sunlight, will, I am sure, demonstrate that it is real. Jim G.
    I will check to see if the newspaper is pre May 1945. Hang tight and THANK YOU very much for your information.

Ok, So I hope this comes out alright. I carefully unfolded the newspaper clipping and it remained intact! It's pretty long so I scanned each side into two parts. I hope this helps. One of the scans has a partial headline with the letters "Ado" which I can assume is for the name "Adolf". Let me know what you think.

- - Updated - -

M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?

?

Interesting treat in the liner! What a bonus. I'm thinking the guys head was too small for this large siz shell so he may have replaced it at the time or maybe modified? Hard to tell with limited images. Can you try to get clearer ,well lit pics? And another of the decal? The Adler looks ok from what I can see so far. This is a desirable size as said...there's only one bigger, the 70. My luft is a tiny size, 62. When you get a better close,clear image of the Adler decal, can you post it in the thread dedicated to the Luftwaffe decal? If it is in fact good that is. I'm feeling good on this so far but as said, better clear images are needed to be 100% certain. Also, how do the liner pins look? Are they loose or tight, do they look like they've been removed at one time?

Quote by Dean View Post
    Interesting treat in the liner! What a bonus. I'm thinking the guys head was too small for this large siz shell so he may have replaced it at the time or maybe modified? Hard to tell with limited images. Can you try to get clearer ,well lit pics? And another of the decal? The Adler looks ok from what I can see so far. This is a desirable size as said...there's only one bigger, the 70. My luft is a tiny size, 62. When you get a better close,clear image of the Adler decal, can you post it in the thread dedicated to the Luftwaffe decal? If it is in fact good that is. I'm feeling good on this so far but as said, better clear images are needed to be 100% certain. Also, how do the liner pins look? Are they loose or tight, do they look like they've been removed at one time?
    Here are better shots (or what I think are better) of the helmet and symbol. In natural sunlight. Hope this helps. I'll post the symbol in the section you suggested. M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?

Gotta tell ya Dean, I couldn't find a thread specific to Luftwaffe Decals. Could you point it out to me? Thanks

Quote by cpuwizshot View Post
    Hmmm... That concerns me since I dropped $600 yesterday for this helmet and an array of other items.
    Thanks - your latest photos are better but the black paint flecks shows it was overpainted at some time. Could have been for Luftwaffe flak troops but also could have been post-war applied and then stripped back exposing the decal?

I do not doubt the originality of the liner and the presence of the newspaper - jut that the liner and shell may not have been together all that time - checking for double bends on the pins would confirm that - and what the others mean by crisp decal photos is shown below - sharp images clear up any doubts folk like me have. Best to know now so you can approach the seller if worst comes to worst ( and I hope it doesn't )

What else did you score for the 6 bills?

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Luftwaffe Helmet?  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast