Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

M42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise

Article about: Dear fellows, I received the helmet we talked about for a 3 days inspection period, so I had the chance to get some more and better pics:

Default M42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise

Dear fellows, I received the helmet we talked about for a 3 days inspection period, so I had the chance to get some more and better pics:

M42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise
    P
    Many

Default Re: M42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise

And now some close-ups of the paint; as you can see, under the paint in the "decal area", there is some red stuff, while under the other scratchced areas just rust, which seems old on the external dome and quite fresh inside, near the rear edge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise   M42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise  

M42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise   M42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise  

M42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise   M42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise  

The surprise: when you touch the paint with an acetone soaked patch, it comes off easily, leaving some red stuff traces on the patch (internal dome and left edge: here is also some red paint under)... I've readed the old, original German paint cannot be removed in this way, is it right? Here is also a couple of pics of this M42 with my M35 SD (original with patina), for color tone comparison. Any input?

M42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise

Last pics of the 3 rivets, between liner and shell. Any comments will be really appreciated, thanks in advance,

M.

M42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surpriseM42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise

acetone proves nothing , what were you hoping to discover with that ? Comparing the paint of two different helmets is also useless as there are so many variations and factors that can alter the look of a helmet over the years.

For me the paint looks good , the leather maybe treated. The rear pin looks flat while the other are domed , what is the lotnr of the helmet ? It's an NS right ?

You're right, the maker is NS and the lot seems E or F 279 ( lot on the rear, maker on the side ). The rivets look identical to me, but I'll check it better when at home. As said, I've readed the original paint can't be removed with acetone, so I tried to determine if original or not. I'm a bit concerned by the red stuff under the green here and there, so I would like to have your expert opinion on this lid, if to buy it or not, thanks collectors.

I wonder how you will be able to send it back seeing that you have damaged the helmet with acetone. You have just voided the return policy.
    It's a theory you better bury very deep. Paint is paint so it will get damaged by acetone.
    I don't recall seeing NS helmets with an E or F prefix , D and B yes.

?

Probably a B prefix and I agree, paints paints paint. Acetone in strength will remove it and if it were my helmet you just bought it regardless. It could be factory primer under the paint perhaps?

Quote " I've readed the original paint can't be removed with acetone" Using the acetone was not wise. It's powerfull! Don't believe everything you read.

You should have seeked advice here 1st before using the Acetone.

You may have just bought yourself a helmet whether you like it or not. And yes, some of the manufactures did use a primer before the paint. But not always even at the same plant.

Thanks for your inputs; I want you know that the owner, which is a friend of mine, has been previously informed about the experiment (few mm in a hidden area). Dougb, the lot could be B, but the markings are faint. Does it fall in some "no decal" range?

M42 nd arrived... better pics with surprise