Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42, Need help!

Article about: Hi, this helmet is for sale at an auctionsite. Is the helmet, liner and paint original? Is it repainted during the war or postwar? Help is appreciated

Default M42, Need help!

Hi, this helmet is for sale at an auctionsite.
    Is the helmet, liner and paint original?
    Is it repainted during the war or postwar?

Help is appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42, Need help!
    P
    Many

Default Re: M42, Need help!

It almost looks repainted very carefully but I'm not sure though

Looks like a 'modern' repaint in a strange colour and a fake decal, IMO. I could have doubts about the liner as well.

Jerry

TheCroatian
    ?

Repaint to me, chin strap might be good though...

Yes, It looks like someone may have carefully painted around the decal with a new layer of paint...and a fake decal.

?

one little thing I do is to see where the "wear" is. Someone told me a long time ago to look for things like that. If you were to examine the edges and see how fresh the paint is, on the sharp edge of an m-42, you would notice how little wear there is on the sharp edges.
    Secondly, consider what application method could have been used to paint it, brush, spray etc. Look for the application method. That will tell you something as well.
    Third, and I agree with most, look at the decal. It rests above the new paint
    and does not even have the sharpness of an original. Myself, at a glance do like the liner. The helmet overall is a project for restoration and not something to put big money into. By that I mean compare prices on redone helms from other sites, about $200-$300 depending on size. Add in the fact that you must like it and realize to resell it, you must find someone who would buy it from you. Then you find yourself a a different level.
    If you can get it as a messed with helm and have fun with it,...do it, otherwise, you have thrown your money away.