Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?

Article about: Gentlemen of WRF, I am looking for your opinions on a camo finish that I am not familiar with. The helmet shell and liner (59cm, 1943 manufacture) look fine to me and are in great shape. The

Default M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?

Gentlemen of WRF,

I am looking for your opinions on a camo finish that I am not familiar with. The helmet shell and liner (59cm, 1943 manufacture) look fine to me and are in great shape. The chin strap is also with the helmet but the leather has torn on the strap piece. I am wondering about the camo job. Looks like some of the camo has broken loose on the helmet revealing a bit about what is going on underneath. I'm not sure about this one, but I am certainly intrigued.

Thank you for your input.

Tyler

M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?
    Last edited by coldcashandcolderhearts; 06-01-2015 at 08:38 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?
    P
    Many

hmmm - I think this was messed with: WWII German Camouflage Helmet?

What a shame.

Hi, personally I think it looks like someone has made a grey concrete mix and plastered this helmet. The interior shows moderate wear, but apart from the one "ding" on the outside of the shell, it looks brand new. I would not go for this one as it stands, try to get some really sharp close up images of the "cammo" from the seller if you are interested. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi, personally I think it looks like someone has made a grey concrete mix and plastered this helmet. The interior shows moderate wear, but apart from the one "ding" on the outside of the shell, it looks brand new. I would not go for this one as it stands, try to get some really sharp close up images of the "cammo" from the seller if you are interested. Leon.
    I agree with you Leon. Minty "camo" does not match the overall condition of the interior. The seller has agreed to ship it to me for a hands on inspection prior to me paying.

If the camo is post war, which I assume it is, he is going to sell me the helmet for a very low price. So low in fact that I am going to see how easily this stuff comes off and maybe try removing it if the original paint can handle it.

Tyler

I've taken some detailed shots of the camo on this helmet. I focused on damaged areas which reveal a bit about the textured finish and wear. I am flip flopping on this camo finish. The wear around the edges makes me think I could have been period done, however the overall lack of wear on the helmet makes me think twice.

Photos for you viewing pleasure. Opinions welcome.

M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?

?

Can't say I am a fan of this one to be honest.
    As for removing the textured finish and paint, at the end of the day,
    you are still going to be left with a messed around with lid.

Brad.

Not so obviously messed with as the one in the link and camo lids are a nightmare. I would leave it alone and perhaps try and get someone else to look at it who knows whats what with such if you can. Any good dealers or other collectors near you, try asking them. Also try taking some more pics in flat exterior light.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for your input. I will post more pictures tonight out of the sun. I agree it's not as obvious with this helmet.

Gentlemen,

Here is my attempt at capturing this camo with better lighting conditions.

There are two coats of paint involved with camo job. The first is a pea green hue colour, with small pebbles or crushed glass? There is also brush fibres and sawdust in there as well. The texture is quite variable on the helmet.

The second coat is a field grey, almost Luftwaffe colour. This has worn off in areas showing the green underneath. Damage exists throughout and shows rust consistent with the rust appearing on the underside of the helmet.

The textured layer is very strong and resilient.

Thanks,
    Tyler
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?   M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?  

M42 NS66 1339 - Sand texture refinish in the field?  
    Last edited by coldcashandcolderhearts; 07-01-2015 at 01:48 AM.