Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M42 in real good condition

Article about: I am back in Denmark at the moment. I visited a friend who has a very nice M42, so i just want to show it to you. He got it from his English grand fatheri He was a WW2 vet and he brought it

?

Default Re: M42 in real good condition

Thank you for the info Jason. So we should just leave liner and strap as is i can understand. Yes it's a real good looking helmet. I am not happy he wont sell it

Regards, Lars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 in real good condition
    P
    Many

Thats right, you dont want to add anything to the leather as it might dry it out in the long term or change its colour. Its survived this long without anything so I wouldn't go changing that.

I would be disappointed he wouldn't want to sell it either, its a great looking helmet!

Jason

?

Sorry for splitting hair Jason, but the liner is gettin "paper" like to the touch. Strap is also a bit stiff. Just want to make sure there is nothing to do about it.

Yes it's irritating and he is not even a WW2 collector but he got it from grand dad so i understand.

Nice lid! Reminds me of the M42 I recently acquired:

Not much we can do to preserve them other than what everyone else already mentioned.

M42 in real good conditionM42 in real good condition

Yep, leave it all alone. Liners dry and chinstraps can crack, it's a bummer, but it happens with time. Sit in on a shelf and enjoy it, in a mild temperature room ,out of direct sunlight and extreme temperature changes, that's the best that can been done to preserve it. Nice lookig lid!

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Yep, leave it all alone. Liners dry and chinstraps can crack, it's a bummer, but it happens with time. Sit in on a shelf and enjoy it, in a mild temperature room ,out of direct sunlight and extreme temperature changes, that's the best that can been done to preserve it. Nice lookig lid!
    Thank you for the advice.

?

Nice one Joe. How much was it if i may ask? Interesting to know what a plain M42 goes for. I see you are missing a chin strap there.

Thanks, Lars! It cost me about $600.

The dome stamp is something like this, I think this one is a fake though.

Lars please leave the helmet in this condition , no leather treatment or anything.
    Better to sell it to me than to treat it. It's a perfect original almost unworn helmet.

The only advise is that he must keep the helmet in a room that doesn't have fluctuating temperatures. Living room or a desk room would be best.
    Certainly not in the cellar or attic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2