Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M42 Sauerland Helmet

Article about: During the month of July 2015 I helped my wife's family clean out a house, preparatory to sale, which had belonged to my wife's uncle and aunt, both now deceased. Uncle Jack had served in Eu

Thanks again to all who have offered their views on Uncle Jack's helmet.

I understand, as Ralph pointed out in an earlier post, that the folks on this forum are not an appraisal service. However, I believe the family will want to sell this helmet at some point, so any advice we might get on how to establish a solid provenance, or who we might contact to help us do so, or who we might contact to assist in the pricing and/or sale of the helmet, would be much appreciated.

None of us (Uncle Jack's four children plus my wife, his niece, and I, all in our 60's) have any experience with selling things online, or through an auction house, or on establishing provenance on an item such as this, and we want to try and go about this in an informed and responsible way.

Jim McConnell

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Sauerland Helmet
    P
    Many

You would be getting PM's from member to help you work out the possible sell and price of the helmet. Great looking helmet and a hard one to find .
    Marty
    Last edited by Tank Destroyer; 08-05-2015 at 04:54 PM.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Jim,

As Marty has noted, you may be getting private messages from members here.

One place to sell an item like this is in the forums classified section. You can be assured it would go to a good home to someone who values preserving history.

And while the family may be looking to sell the item, I encourage them consider passing along this item down the family tree. This is part of Uncle Jacks history and if at all possible should be kept in the family.

This is all based on the assumption that there are people willing to preserve and take care of it, not put it in a box in a hot attic or damp basement. No small commitment.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I'm sure there are plenty who are hovering in the wings itching to buy this helmet. My advice would be to offer it in the classified section with a good long time to run, put a stupid high price on it and let the 'auction' run. The offers will come and as long as you are prepared to handle the low-ball offers and general B/S, the market price will establish itself. At the end of the day if the best offer doesn't meet expectations, you are under no obligation to let it go.

A very interesting helmet that looks good from what can be seen. It is of note that the decal is not in the normal location under the vent. This probably because of the beaded helmet.

Steve

Quote by Interlocutor View Post
    Thanks again to all who have offered their views on Uncle Jack's helmet.

I understand, as Ralph pointed out in an earlier post, that the folks on this forum are not an appraisal service. However, I believe the family will want to sell this helmet at some point, so any advice we might get on how to establish a solid provenance, or who we might contact to help us do so, or who we might contact to assist in the pricing and/or sale of the helmet, would be much appreciated.

None of us (Uncle Jack's four children plus my wife, his niece, and I, all in our 60's) have any experience with selling things online, or through an auction house, or on establishing provenance on an item such as this, and we want to try and go about this in an informed and responsible way.

Jim McConnell
    Hi Jim, Kelly Hicks at SS-Steel may be able to help you out, even if he does not know a true value (and I am sure he will) he will know somebody who does. Make sure you give him good close-up detailed images of the helmet and decal for a definite evaluation. He is usually quite happy to help out someone who genuinely has no idea about something. Leon.

MAP
    ?

Jim,

Kelly Hicks Website (per Leons comment above):

SS Steel Inc. | Helmet Authentications

Others can confirm if this is true but his website notes that they do charge for "authentication" services. This may be different than a ball park valuation.

Just a word of advice with dealers, and not to ruffle anyones feathers as Kelly and many others are all good people, but they might offer to purchase the helmet from you. If so, they typically will offer much lower prices to cover their own costs of resale (insurance, rent, salaries, etc.) as well as a buffer for profit. All OK, but just a note of caution.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Good one IMO. Liner isn't standard though obviously. Good luck with the sale! I would make an offer if I wasn't a broke college kid. lol

Thanks again. I think I need to talk to my wife's cousins (Jack's kids) to get guidance on how they wish to proceed from here.

As an interesting anecdote, one of said cousins, Jack's only son, told me last week when this investigation was beginning that he remembers "playing soldiers" in a local park with this helmet when he was a kid...

Jim Mc

MAP
    ?

Quote by Interlocutor View Post
    Thanks again. I think I need to talk to my wife's cousins (Jack's kids) to get guidance on how they wish to proceed from here.

As an interesting anecdote, one of said cousins, Jack's only son, told me last week when this investigation was beginning that he remembers "playing soldiers" in a local park with this helmet when he was a kid...

Jim Mc
    Not uncommon LoL!

Luckily this one did not get trashed like most did.
    If they only knew then how much these items would be worth....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast