Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 shell ID

Article about: I have picked up a cheap M42 shell for a friend, but wanted to check the numbers in it. It is marked on the rear of the neckguard cK166 2898 I am assuming this is a post war lid. The liner b

?

Default M42 shell ID

I have picked up a cheap M42 shell for a friend, but wanted to check the numbers in it. It is marked on the rear of the neckguard cK166
    I am assuming this is a post war lid. The liner band is zinc, with what looks like a small 2 digit number (maybe) stamped in it. The PO has taken a grinder to the rust and painted it all black. It is quite heavy and large.

Any help appreciated.

The new owner will be doing a resto on it to go with his Afrika Korps BMW motorcycle - it is mint, but unfortunately he has had to paint it black (paint under this looks like Luft over desert sand) as the locals in his area of Belgium really aren't into anything WW2 German. Shame, as it is a very nice bike.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 shell ID
    P
    Many

Default Re: M42 shell ID

Photos are always preferred, but from your description I can tell you that it's actually ckl66...ckl being the maker-code, 66 being the shell-size...These are the markings of an original WW2 German Helmet, not a postwar item...
    I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you the name of the factory...
    cheers, Glenn

Hi, my lot numbers book by BRIAN ICE says that CKL66/2898, was a single decal heer helmet. Leon.

Fallschrimjajer Leon would you mind looking up one for me I have had since I was ten bought it in 1963 from England for a whole nine dollars with shipping it is a M-42 CKL 64 Lot no 3925 It had old repo decals placed over the original ones and I always wondered what might be under them but never had the heart to see. thanks timothy

Quote by timothy View Post
    Fallschrimjajer Leon would you mind looking up one for me I have had since I was ten bought it in 1963 from England for a whole nine dollars with shipping it is a M-42 CKL 64 Lot no 3925 It had old repo decals placed over the original ones and I always wondered what might be under them but never had the heart to see. thanks timothy
    Hi Timothy,well as these things always work out,you're helmet is not listed in the book,but the lot numbers closest to yours are all no decal heer or single decal heer helmets. Leon.

Well thanks it has been repainted back then and I always figured it was a Heer helmet. Thanks a lot timothy

?

Thanks guys. I had checked on German Helmets.com for a maker mark, but didn't see this listed. 66 would definately be the size, as it is huge on my head. I will try to get some pics, but it is pretty boring. The PO said he painted over a decal(s) with swastika, but who knows for sure. I can't see any sign of a decal under the paint, and it was a sod to remove just a small section over the number even using acetone and sandpaper. I am guessing it is POR-15 or similar, so any decal will remain hidden.