Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M42 Shell without markings

Article about: Hi all, just stumbled on this forum and realized it covered axis and allies and here seems like a very convenient place to be. I have an interest in all things military and avidly seek out o

Default M42 Shell without markings

Hi all, just stumbled on this forum and realized it covered axis and allies and here seems like a very convenient place to be. I have an interest in all things military and avidly seek out original period items daily coming across just about everything. Picked this up on Craigslist a week ago and can't find any markings. I took photos of it after spraying with water as that has revealed details for me in the past. Any thoughts on this piece would be appreciated. I initially purchased as a restoration project but may just flip it as I have plans to move soon and will be selling a lot of my pile to generate cash and minimize bulk. I can always start over later on. On the other hand, would not want to restore if there's something special in it either, all comments welcome please.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Shell without markings
    P
    Many

Welcome to the Forum, friend...Looks like it's been in a fire...but looks solid enough and would make a cool restoration project...You can measure the outside circumference for the shell-size...
    cheers, Glenn

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply Glenn. Yes it does look like it's been in a fire now that yo mention it. I've got a small sandblaster and may give that a shot. You can buy spray cans of replica German paint on Ebay so i was thinking of that for the interior and a nice cammo with some sand for the exterior. I did this once before and created the water pattern using some old oil paints.

I don't think sand blasting would be a very good idea on a helmet. You may end up with a rather textured surface!

Just got notice to not use Photobucket, apologies. Here's a test with the in house uploader.

M42 Shell without markings

Welcome to the forum, it's impossible to "restore" the paint work on a helmet, but you can certainly re-paint it and produce a great looking helmet that will be ideal for a re-enactor, good luck with your project! Leon.

Does the rim and liner pins look funny to anyone?
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

The pins look flat compared to some. I'm about to remove them and will take better pics of everything.

The markings will be located on the rear of the skirt since its an M42. Most of the time m42 markings are hard to read due to them being rushed out of the factory so quickly. The stamps were just sorta tapped in there in a half assed manner.. It doesnt help when the shell starts to form pits either.