Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M42 Stahlhelm

Article about: Hi, a great M42 shell ,the guys have said all you need to hear already, I will just add that if your friend is generous enough to give you great pieces like this for free, buy him a beer and

Default M42 Stahlhelm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me some info about this M42 Stahlhelm, first off I was wondering if it is original factory wartime paint/texture on the Stahl, also what are the markings on the helmet liner band? I know it's the manufacturer but where were they located ect. ect. The 342 has me lost, I assume it is the makers code? (Not up to par with helmets) so mind my ignorance lol. the split pins are also dated 1944. Seems to have a ricochet on the side of it as well? My friend gave it to me and he said he got it from a local estate sale. Apparently a US 3rd Inf Div vet brought it back home from France? Not sure how true it is, we never buy the story just the item.

M42 StahlhelmM42 StahlhelmM42 StahlhelmM42 StahlhelmM42 StahlhelmM42 StahlhelmM42 StahlhelmM42 StahlhelmM42 Stahlhelm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Stahlhelm
    P
    Many

Pain looks ok to me. 342 is the steel lot # or batch #. Removing the split pins is a huge "No No". Affects the value of the helmet. It's completely missing the liner and chin strap.

The paint on this looks exceptionally well preserved. Look for a maker mark/size marking around the skirt. It should be two letters and then "64" for example like this: "EF64"
    The 44 dated pins combined with rough textured paint suggest to me that this helmet could possibly be unissued. We may never know if it had a liner or not, but it doesn't matter. This is a super desirable helmet shell in my opinion Go buy your friend a steak dinner.

Payne, I honestly don't see a shell size marking anywhere near the skirt. I do know it is a size 64 shell, though.

?

To me it looks like there are other marks before the 342, but i think this is a very light strike stamp, the maker and size could be obscured by the paint plus light strike

There is a chart somewhere online that shows helmet sketches of the various makers. If somebody could post it that would be great.

Okay, so there is a VERY faint marking of "EF64" on this Stahlhelm

?

I think it had a liner at sometime, you can see the rub marks where the spring leafs went in

I was thinking EF. Light maker stamps, typical EF M40/42 vent impression and exaggerated flare at the beginnings of the skirt. IMO the ding is someone messing around with a .22 after the war. As Todd said it's never a good idea to remove the pins or a liner, even if it's only a partial liner band.

Nice condition 42 shell with liner band. timothy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast