Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M42 steel helmet, what do you think about?

Article about: Dear all, For about thirty years I have possessed this M42 helmet. The colour is new and there are no markings (still) visible on the rim. May I ask you about the helmet and especially the l

Default M42 steel helmet, what do you think about?

Dear all,

For about thirty years I have possessed this M42 helmet. The colour is new and there are no markings (still) visible on the rim. May I ask you about the helmet and especially the liner please? What do you think about?

With best wishes,
    alter musketier
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 steel helmet, what do you think about?   M42 steel helmet, what do you think about?  

M42 steel helmet, what do you think about?   M42 steel helmet, what do you think about?  

M42 steel helmet, what do you think about?   M42 steel helmet, what do you think about?  

In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 steel helmet, what do you think about?
    P
    Many

Default Re: M42 steel helmet, what do you think about?

I'd say a repainted shell, repro liner and chinstrap.

I don't know about repainted shell... it might just be dusty. However, the liner does look fake to me... the fit doesn't seem right and it's too loose and lumpy looking around the liner band.

Also, the chinstrap is funky. Short end is way too long.

Compare to my M42:

M42 steel helmet, what do you think about?M42 steel helmet, what do you think about?

I totally agree with helmetone, the chinstrap is way off the mark and the liner looks in far too good condition.

?

I cant be 100% sure but im thinking it could be a post war helmet, there should be some sign of maker marks even under paint, especially if its a one coat job, the straps are certainly not Wartime period which in turn casts doubt on the liner

I did have an M42 with a very weak lot #, and I couldn't find any traces of a maker mark. But considering how weak the lot # strike was, I was figuring maybe very late war. And there was a very thin coat of paint so a good solid strike should have been easy to see.

Dear all,

Many thanks to you for your answers! Maybe do you know about any war time M42 German helmets (maybe of civil organisations) without any maker or lot marks? Or maybe they could be destroyed by rust? Do you know about a method to differentiate between a war time helmet or a post war helmet e. g. their weight?

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Quote by Alter Musketier View Post
    Dear all,

Many thanks to you for your answers! Maybe do you know about any war time M42 German helmets (maybe of civil organisations) without any maker or lot marks? Or maybe they could be destroyed by rust? Do you know about a method to differentiate between a war time helmet or a post war helmet e. g. their weight?

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    Wartime M42 helmets for civil use were beaded ones. The shell of yours may be original but it's been repainted and re-used for other purposes post war.
    No sense to investigate further , if you want an original one this ain't it.

?

A penny says it could be Czechoslovak Civil Defence post war.

Nitram