Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M42 Wire Basket Combat Vet

Article about: Hey gang...I've been looking for one for a while....but wanted to make sure it was the real deal and not a recently contrived lid - it arrived today! New to the collection - a CKL66 M42 helm

Default M42 Wire Basket Combat Vet

Hey gang...I've been looking for one for a while....but wanted to make sure it was the real deal and not a recently contrived lid - it arrived today!

New to the collection - a CKL66 M42 helmet with wire. This came from Paul at Lakesidetrader and he picked this up along with many other items from the veteran's son. These were all packed away in '45 and haven't come out of the footlocker since!! Way cool - it still has some of the mud on it from when it was taken!

The veteran was a jeep driver for the Allied war correspondents & photographers like Ernie Pyle and Robert Capa. He must have seen quite a bit of scenery going from one "hotspot" to the next.

This helmet has a lot of character - if only it could talk!
    Dome stamped but can't make out what it says.
    Size 58 liner is a bonus: it fits my huge melon!

Here are some pics....Lots to come!!

Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Wire Basket Combat Vet   M42 Wire Basket Combat Vet  

M42 Wire Basket Combat Vet   M42 Wire Basket Combat Vet  

M42 Wire Basket Combat Vet  
    Attached Images Attached Images M42 Wire Basket Combat Vet 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 Wire Basket Combat Vet
    P
    Many

Default Re: M42 Wire Basket Combat Vet

Some closeup shots....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 Wire Basket Combat Vet   M42 Wire Basket Combat Vet  

dannygst
    ?

Nice helmet, thinking of get a ckl66 numbered 4661

Thanks! Glad you like it! Good hunting!

Rob

Finally a nice original wire cammo to look at!
    There are so many fake's out there it's crazy and some dealer's in europe are the worst.They put them on ebay 3-4 at a time and expect us to believe they are real.I have recently traded for an original M42 snow cammo from a barn loft in Stalingrad and it's nice to find that perfect item.Like you said if only they could talk we could write a book about it Nice looking combat Helmet you have there and whatever you do don't let it go (unless it's to me!).Thank's for posting it for us.
    Cheer's mate

Tom

Hey Tom! It's great to be able to show items such as this helmet to collectors who appreciate and recognize what they see! Glad you like it. The wire basket isn't "pretty" like the Ebay examples....hahahahaha. The basket was never meant to be put on there for looks....it was there for foliage and whatever else would help break up the shape of the helmet.
    If she ever has to go for some reason or other - you'll be the first to know!

Cheers man!

Rob

Hey guys....I've been combing the internet looking at photos from all the big wig Army photographers that were in the European theatre. If you recall at the top of this thread - the helmet was brought back by a jeep driver that drove these guys all over the place.
    My dream come true would be to find a period pic that shows this lid in wear!

.....NO - I haven't found that picture yet! The hunt continues but I did want to show this picture. Have a look in the middle, just off to the right. I thought I struck gold for a moment - but it's not the same lid.
    That said - a lot of collectors that have seen this helmet all agree that it's period (I have no doubt) but many expressed that they never saw this wire arrangement before......SO, that said - it's nice to find another example that is pretty damn close to my example!!!

By the way - the picture was taken in May '45 at a collection depot where shell casing, helmets and all other kinds of equip. were being collected.

Cheers! ....the hunt continues....

Rob

Great helmet and great photo Rob, very different type of wire than the normal used on the wired lids , a great addition to the collection , cheers Raymond

Hey! Thanks Ray! Glad you like it man! It's a pretty sweet lid....I'm liking it more and more!

Rob

That is one nice helmet!!!!!!
    I personally love the wire camos, but it's too hard to find a REAL one unless you can get one straight from the vet's hands.
    Glad to see that yours is real.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast