MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Maker mark and lot# question

Article about: Ahh I missed that, I think the funny shaped M40 vents on SE helmets combined with the grime buggered my senses. No sorry no M35 of that number either, but I found this; WW2 German M-35 Helme

Default Re: Maker mark and lot# question

Ahh I missed that, I think the funny shaped M40 vents on SE helmets combined with the grime buggered my senses. No sorry no M35 of that number either, but I found this; WW2 German M-35 Helmet ~ Early Luftwaffe - #0091 - S (12/10/2006)...

Maybe still a luft.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Maker mark and lot# question
    P
    Many

?

Man, you are the best, thank you! I think that's our boy, the maker and lot # match, so most likely Luftwaffe.

?

You cannot determine branch by lot number with certainty as there are many cases of mixed branches within a given lot number and evidence clearly points to this. The lot numbers are not branch specific.

?

Thanks Doug, so are lot #'s useful primarily for determining when a helmet was made?

?

Quote by doomtown View Post
    Thanks Doug, so are lot #'s useful primarily for determining when a helmet was made?
    Perhaps only with ET / ckl helmets which appear to be sequential. The rest tend to be a dogs breakfast. There are plenty of theories out there. Nothing proven however. We don't even know exactly what the lot number means. Was it referring to a batch of steel plate? Was it referring to a production code? Was it refering to an order contract number? Nobody knows for sure.

Someone should start doing research on these lot numbers. It would be of great value for collectors.

There's always the M35, M40 and M42 distinction to determine in what year appr. the helmet was made. Especially if you have a M40 or M42 your guess has 1/3 or even 1/2 chance of being right. This isn't enough if you're a die hard collector.

A good start would be examing the different types of helmets of one certain firm e.g. Eisenhutten Werk Thale. To do this you need a lot of helmets though.

I do collect US helmets as well and some people managed to pull this off using loads of helmets from collectors etc. Now you can actually check when a helmet made by McCord was made... Correct to the month!

It will probably be something similar to the German factories, if one only researches good enough. I can't though, don't have enough helmets, let alone of differenct companies.

In US helmets you see something like: 733B or 655C (there is always a letter following the digits), German helmets tend to only have digits.
    The theory here (US helmets) is: the higher the number, the later it was manufactured. E.g. if you have a McCord with heat number 900A you can be sure that it was made in May of 1944.

I'm sure the German manufacturers will have been as clever to use a system similar to this, and it could very well be that M35 of ET have lower numbers than the ET M42s for instance. Someone should start checking it out, a seperate thread on this wouldn't be a luxury I suppose... Could be of great value to the collecting world, and it should be possible to determine when a helmet was made sooner or later, even if the research takes a couple of years...

Cheers

?

Just think how many, never to be seen again, rare helmets went the way of this one, even worse, there is no way to restore it as to chrome a metal it needs to be completely cleaned of paint etc, i have and never will like them like this, its old history converted to new history.

4md
    ?

Quote by kenbent View Post
    Someone should start doing research on these lot numbers. It would be of great value for collectors.

There's always the M35, M40 and M42 distinction to determine in what year appr. the helmet was made. Especially if you have a M40 or M42 your guess has 1/3 or even 1/2 chance of being right. This isn't enough if you're a die hard collector.

A good start would be examing the different types of helmets of one certain firm e.g. Eisenhutten Werk Thale. To do this you need a lot of helmets though.

I do collect US helmets as well and some people managed to pull this off using loads of helmets from collectors etc. Now you can actually check when a helmet made by McCord was made... Correct to the month!

It will probably be something similar to the German factories, if one only researches good enough. I can't though, don't have enough helmets, let alone of differenct companies.

In US helmets you see something like: 733B or 655C (there is always a letter following the digits), German helmets tend to only have digits.
    The theory here (US helmets) is: the higher the number, the later it was manufactured. E.g. if you have a McCord with heat number 900A you can be sure that it was made in May of 1944.

I'm sure the German manufacturers will have been as clever to use a system similar to this, and it could very well be that M35 of ET have lower numbers than the ET M42s for instance. Someone should start checking it out, a seperate thread on this wouldn't be a luxury I suppose... Could be of great value to the collecting world, and it should be possible to determine when a helmet was made sooner or later, even if the research takes a couple of years...

Cheers
    Gday, theres been a bit of work in this area already. GHW has a lot number database

Quote by 4md View Post
    Gday, theres been a bit of work in this area already. GHW has a lot number database
    Indeed, a useful guide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2