Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this a massive red-flag?

Article about: Hi guys, I've been looking at some SD M40 lids online (as I'm planning to purchase one at Christmas time for myself) and I've found this lid on one of the militaria sites. It claims to be a

Default Is this a massive red-flag?

Hi guys, I've been looking at some SD M40 lids online (as I'm planning to purchase one at Christmas time for myself) and I've found this lid on one of the militaria sites. It claims to be a fully original single decal M40 helmet, however; it appears to have a reproduction chinstrap, also the rivets look a bit loose (though it may just be my eyes ). Is this a huge red-flag or is it acceptable for the price and I should get the helmet and simply remove the chinstrap? The lid also looks to have some damage on the crown, possibly from falling debris or nearby explosions.
    Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a massive red-flag?
    P
    Many

Looks like an NS ? The liner from your pics...looks like a good match to the overall wear of the helmet. Without seeing split pin installation, I cannot comment further on whether it is original to the helmet. The chinstrap (again) from your pics, looks like it stands a chance at being okay. Need better pics to comment with certainty.
    Is the chinstrap marked & dated ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Looks like an NS ? The liner from your pics...looks like a good match to the overall wear of the helmet. Without seeing split pin installation, I cannot comment further on whether it is original to the helmet. The chinstrap (again) from your pics, looks like it stands a chance at being okay. Need better pics to comment with certainty
    Thanks man, I'm no expert on chinstraps ha ha, I just wanted to make sure before I even considered parting with the cash. What sort of price would be fair for this lid, mate?

Quote by Bernhardt View Post
    Thanks man, I'm no expert on chinstraps ha ha, I just wanted to make sure before I even considered parting with the cash. What sort of price would be fair for this lid, mate?
    Hi Bernhardt
    Can you get more pics of it ? Do you know if strap is marked & dated ?. Need that & pics of the buckle end. I could not enlarge your pics, they came out blurry.
    Value ? I can't say. It is battle damaged so I don't know the value of it.

Helmet in that condition with all original parts & NO damage...$800-900

I have a Heer M42 and the split pins (rivets) are loose on that. They look similar to the helmet you have shown.
    The decal is not in great condition, perhaps similar to yours but more scratched away. I paid £395 (UK).

I think the (probable) battle damage makes the helmet more interesting.
    If you have it on display it's not noticeable, but if someone picks it up it raises further interesting questions about the helmet.

Nick

I like the overall wear too, but I don't like the chinstrap from those pics.

I'll ask him for more pics, he wants £390 for it which I think is a fair price, but more importantly; what do you guys think?

My M42 which was £395:
    M42 Heer Helmet

I think £390 is fair.

If the chinstrap is good.. yes, but I am not convinced its an original.

I don't know your financial situation, nor your interests or passions. Myself, I would save a bit more $ & find one that is not damaged. There are so many nice ones for sale that are complete & original, but will be costing you a bit more.

If you enjoy relic or battle damaged helmets....many collectors do, then go for it. You had a few positive replies from members here, so the helmet is desirable to some with the damage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast