MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Is this a massive red-flag?

Article about: Hi guys, I've been looking at some SD M40 lids online (as I'm planning to purchase one at Christmas time for myself) and I've found this lid on one of the militaria sites. It claims to be a

I am a student, however, I want an honest battle helmet, and I think this maybe it. Thanks to everyone for the replies, I'll post pics of the chinstrap if I get some more.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a massive red-flag?
    P
    Many

Hi, the helmet itself looks all ok, a touch "scrubbed back" but take this thought into account. Cracks to the shell whilst being the result of battle damage can also be caused by the helmet being filled with water and then subjected to freezing temperatures. The water expands and cracks the steel!! Also that could account for the slightly loose pins if water was under those at the time, it would only take a day in these conditions to cause that type of damage, also I think the scrubbed look could be from the removal of a winter cammo! Leon.

Jan
    ?

I´m not an expert on these but I don´t like the overall look of it. The crack looks very much a crack that occurs when water froze inside the helmet (and expanded) so this would point towards the helmet originally beeing found in the ground. The chinstrap is very probably a replica. More detailed pictures would certainly help. Maybe you should save your money at this point but of course in the end you do what You like . IF this is an original unmessed with helmet I would consider the price very fair indeed!!

Best,

Jan

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi, the helmet itself looks all ok, a touch "scrubbed back" but take this thought into account. Cracks to the shell whilst being the result of battle damage can also be caused by the helmet being filled with water and then subjected to freezing temperatures. The water expands and cracks the steel!! Also that could account for the slightly loose pins if water was under those at the time, it would only take a day in these conditions to cause that type of damage, also I think the scrubbed look could be from the removal of a winter cammo! Leon.
    The theory of frozen water cracking steel helmets is a load of bo**ocks. A sealed steel container full of liquid will shatter when frozen, but only IF there is no room for the ice to expand. A steel helmet is not a sealed container, and any liquid it holds will be forced upwards as it freezes.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The theory of frozen water cracking steel helmets is a load of bo**ocks. A sealed steel container full of liquid will shatter when frozen, but only IF there is no room for the ice to expand. A steel helmet is not a sealed container, and any liquid it holds will be forced upwards as it freezes.
    Very true, but neither was my dad's fish pond in 1983, the surface water froze, got thicker, formed a plug and as it went further down due to sustained low temps it shattered the concrete. That was 3 foot deep and not a few inches. Oh and the fish died.
    Lars (Datrus) who sadly has not posted here since 2015 has stated in past threads that he has personally recovered "handful's" of ice damaged helmets. They are quite common to the diggers on the eastern front. ( not my experiences, just the diggers themselves ) Leon.
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 10-20-2017 at 12:55 AM. Reason: 3 not 5!

I have a few helmet ( shells ) cracked from the cold - dug up in Eastern Europe / western Russia.
    But with hardened shells it could also be concussion cracking......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2