MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Medic helmet on eBay?

Article about: There was a medic helmet on eBay that sold for 1100.00usd. Did anyone here buy it? Is it a real medic helmet? Marty

the red flag to my untrained eye would be the rear liner pin colouration

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medic helmet on eBay?
    P
    Many

?

Guy who took the pictures doesn't have a very good camera does anyone have a link? I tried to get rid of the lousy flash I'd like to know the chinstrap number, can't make it out.
    There's a trick with 1900-55 enamel white paint but doesn't always work it helps if you have excess to industrial strength equipment and a keen eye.

Regards
    Eric
    Medic helmet on eBay?Medic helmet on eBay?Medic helmet on eBay?Medic helmet on eBay?Medic helmet on eBay?

?

Interesting, I lived in the same town as this ebayer for 34 years before I moved to Alabama. I wonder who it is...

The seller told me her father died. He collected and tag all the items she is selling on eBay. Pm me I live in Alabama if you need anything let me know. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Wow, I'd like to say I am surprised, but I am afraid I can't.
    I hope the buyer can get a refund, but if they don't, and to be honest, I feel that if
    someone would splash out this much $$, and not be bothered, or is too lazy
    to do any research as to authenticity, I feel a well worn Aussie expression springs to mind.
    "Su@ks to be you!"

Brad.

?

I am not sure what your talking about Eric, "There's a trick with 1900-55 enamel white paint but doesn't always work it helps if you have excess to industrial strength equipment and a keen eye."

Are you saying you paint test?

For those wondering what I mean about back and forth scratches the circled areas are my concern.
    The two scratches I point to with the arrow appear to be made using the exact same tool, and done by hand.

Attachment 789232

Attachment 789231

?

Doug
    When I got a helmet like this of course I paint test btw after looking at the chinstrap liner and interior I'm out this helm isn't for me anyway, furthermore I can't see me buying a TR helmet in the near future either, times are tough.
    What are collectors trying to determine with medic helms?...two paints in this case I dismiss the fact its a helmet and just study the finish maybe like you study decals.
    Yes I see marks for me its not enough I want to know what caused them for that I'd need an inspection (ebay pics are still terrible sorry Tank), more important is the paint used to understand them more, its always helped with my collecting.

Regards
    Eric

doug thanks for highlighting the bad points with your trained eyes i never noticed the marks are the same front and rear i overlooked this and was splitting hairs over the minor details

?

Quote by Unterstand View Post
    Doug
    When I got a helmet like this of course I paint test btw after looking at the chinstrap liner and interior I'm out this helm isn't for me anyway, furthermore I can't see me buying a TR helmet in the near future either, times are tough.
    What are collectors trying to determine with medic helms?...two paints in this case I dismiss the fact its a helmet and just study the finish maybe like you study decals.
    Yes I see marks for me its not enough I want to know what caused them for that I'd need an inspection (ebay pics are still terrible sorry Tank), more important is the paint used to understand them more, its always helped with my collecting.

Regards
    Eric
    Eric

I would be most interested in hearing about your paint testing and methodology. I know there have been various attempts at quantifying paint including XRF analysis and destructive testing. Neither date when a helmet was painted.

You say "when I got a helmet like this of course I paint test", I am confused, you had said to Frank's query in another thread about how many helmets you had and you replied 4 of them or something to that effect. So your saying you have 4 WW2 medic helmets? Or you have 4 WW2 helmets in total? Your reply here in this thread sounds like you buy helmets with some frequency and that you paint test them.

Re- what are collectors trying to determine with medic helms? I would say Eric the same as with any painted helmet, wear, age, patination, paint style, type, etc. That is the only thing you can look for, is it not? You are trying to determine if the paint is period or not. Decal study has nothing to do with it unless of course decals are present.

You want to know what caused the marks? Well, its safe to say that the kind of back and forth marks I pointed out are not done by someone nodding their head up against a screwdriver. They are done by someone holding an implement in thier hand and moving thier hand back and forth. Magnification can also determine if the paint is chipped away, and tools leave marks. Magnified 200x you can see clear tool marks most of the times, and when those marks match up all over the helmet, you know it is has been toolmarked, unless the soldier was doing handstands on a bed of nails.

I know you are a follower of that website where claims are made about paint testing and are completely unsupported. Nows your chance to share with the collecting community rather than commenting all the time, ante up Eric old chap, and show the "paint testing" you and your group perform, and the rest of your proof that you have all the answers with painted helmets.

You also go on and on about your collection but havent posted a single thing. Perhaps sharing rather than being the expert all the time, might bring some credibility your way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast