Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mid-1930s Berndorfer Schutzpolizei Transitional Helmet

Article about: No hard feeling at all Doug! I appreciate the information and scrutiny too

No hard feeling at all Doug! I appreciate the information and scrutiny too

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mid-1930s Berndorfer Schutzpolizei Transitional Helmet
    P
    Many

Quote by DougB View Post
    Hi Randall,

I am just telling you what I know and what I have seen and what my suspicions were, that is all. Remember I am only going by the photos you provided which as I said are not very good, and I have had the SS helmets in hand and know what to look for. Dead mint transitional helmets like this it pays to be cautious. Bill Maertz creations have fooled many an advanced collector and author alike.

I always get amused when people throw up Kelly Hicks name as their means to discuss a helmet they know little about. Remember, he has a fake helmet in his book. Nobody is perfect and we all learn everyday. And not everyone publishes what they know in a book. I know many a collector that could write volumes, but haven't. It doesn't make them any less knowledgable.

Cheers, and I hope the helmet is a good one too.

Doug
    Well said - many books contain errors and nobody is perfect.

Randall,DougB is only giving you his advice and opinion that's what you came on the site for.harry.

?

Quote by Randall View Post
    No hard feeling at all Doug! I appreciate the information and scrutiny too
    Thanks Randall, I would want someone to tell me if they thought I had something that perhaps was not what it was, so many things can happen to these artifacts once they leave the vets hands. I honestly would love to see it in hand and I really hope it is all A OK as it is a cracker of a helmet if it is.

Cheers and thanks for being a good sport about it.

Doug

Hi Randall and Doug, The Austrian Police helmet that started this thread is very similar in construction to mine. The chinstrap looks the same although mine is only partially there, the pads look to be constructed and stitched the way the ones on mine are, and the pins look the same. The Adler is also the same. That being said, if this came from The Steel Helmet, where the fakes from the Phil Miller collection are being sold, I would not be comfortable with it at all. Also, as Doug stated, the Party shield isn't a Pocher and both decals do have some funky wear, especially around the exterior edges. The more I look at the Party Shield, the more the "spidey senses" (to quote a fellow collector from up North) kick in. I looked at the Miller site a few times when it first was on the web, but haven't logged onto it for at least a year or 2, so I don't know if this helmet was on it. If it was, I would be even more skeptical. I attached a few pictures of mine which show its liner - grommetted and stitched like the one that started the thread, and the pins - which look the same. I will pull mine out this weekend and take better shots. I will post them this weekend time permitting to put another few sets of eyes on them to compare to the thread starter. Again, if it was from Miller I would be very suspicious. As it is, the party shield is already giving me some second thoughts. Maertz certainy is able to do convincing work, the B@#%*%D. A hands on by Doug or someone else with a digital microscope (I do not have one) or more knowledge regarding decals than I may be able to get to the bottom of this. Hopefully, the verdict will be favorable. Best regards, Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mid-1930s Berndorfer Schutzpolizei Transitional Helmet   Mid-1930s Berndorfer Schutzpolizei Transitional Helmet  

Mid-1930s Berndorfer Schutzpolizei Transitional Helmet   Mid-1930s Berndorfer Schutzpolizei Transitional Helmet  

Mid-1930s Berndorfer Schutzpolizei Transitional Helmet  

I forgot to attach the liner shot - sorry! Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mid-1930s Berndorfer Schutzpolizei Transitional Helmet  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2