Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Missing chin straps

Article about: It is true that placing the strap over the front of the helmet distorts the strap. But, I keep my helmets like that anyway because I like to display the strap, not to mention that German sol

Default Re: Missing chin straps

It is true that placing the strap over the front of the helmet distorts the strap. But, I keep my helmets like that anyway because I like to display the strap, not to mention that German soldiers really did wear their helmets like that on occasion: picture below. It may sound a little OCD, but I often will take the chinstraps off my helmets for a few days for that very reason (to let them rest ), so they don't become stiff and then stuck in the 'over visor position'. But I am probably just being a little paranoid.
    Attached Images Attached Images Missing chin straps 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Missing chin straps
    P
    Many

They did wear them like that on occasion and they will settle into that position with time, I don't like to do it as a rule. My avatar lid is the only one I have with strap over the visor, from the paint underneath it's obvious it has been that way for years, perhaps since the war. It has totally moulded to that form now.

If I get a helmet that has the strap over the visor and it has obviously been there for some time, I will leave it as such. But if it has never been permanently over the visor I will leave it that way.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    They did wear them like that on occasion and they will settle into that position with time, I don't like to do it as a rule. My avatar lid is the only one I have with strap over the visor, from the paint underneath it's obvious it has been that way for years, perhaps since the war. It has totally moulded to that form now.
    That is certainly a beautiful Austrian/transitional with a great tri color
    Shame about the chinstrap, I use to have a Red Cross helmet with the same problem. The chinstrap wasn't stiff, yet somehow it was stuck in a U shape..it's hard to explain.

Regards,
    Corey

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    That is certainly a beautiful Austrian/transitional with a great tri color
    Shame about the chinstrap, I use to have a Red Cross helmet with the same problem. The chinstrap wasn't stiff, yet somehow it was stuck in a U shape..it's hard to explain.

Regards,
    Corey
    Thanks mate, I actually think it's pretty cool that it's been that way for so many years to make an impression on the paint, adds a little character

?

Really theres two points of view regarding this, if a strap has been in this position from the beginning, the stress can occur if you try to drop the strap, so its best left alone, if the strap is in good subtle condition, provided you dont pull it tight over the helmet visor, its a reasonable way to display it , its out of the way and you can see the asthetics of the helmet, obviously when the period soldier did this and if they broke , they were two a penny to replace, the cost of an original is becoming ludicrous, in some cases more expensive than a liner

?

I agree i know a dealer in VA beach VA, that seperates everything to make an extra buck. I stopped doing business with him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2