Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

model 3 Vulcanfiber prototype

Article about: Very rare and one of the last that I miss , if you see one in VG condition , please let me know

Default Re: model 3 Vulcanfiber prototype

Very rare and one of the last that I miss , if you see one in VG condition , please let me know

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement model 3 Vulcanfiber prototype
    P
    Many

looks like the adler decal was added to the helmet before the rivets were punched in,,,?

Quote by militarymania View Post
    looks like the adler decal was added to the helmet before the rivets were punched in,,,?
    I don't think so, as these were manufactured in 1932, I think before the Adler decal was adopted. The holes were for the application of a metal national colors shield, but with the rise of Hitler to power, the Heer adler was substituted. Jim G.

?

I was led to believe that although they were field tested they were later adopted for parade purposes for injured personel, any truth in that? I believe this helmet was designated M33

Quote by davejb View Post
    I was led to believe that although they were field tested they were later adopted for parade purposes for injured personel, any truth in that? I believe this helmet was designated M33
    Not this model, but later a model of a vulkanfiber helmet was developed and used for parade and other non combat duties. The later model does not have a slotted apron and the shape more closely resembles the M35. I do not yet have an example of one of those, but I am actively looking for one! Jim G.

?

Okay now im confused, in the book German Helmets 1933-1945, volume II there is a photo of the M33, which has the slotted apron and is vulcanfibre, and is exactly the same as your helmet, they describe the slots as possible strap securing points for a backpack, this comes from the Keith Took collection, is this wrong?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Okay now im confused, in the book German Helmets 1933-1945, volume II there is a photo of the M33, which has the slotted apron and is vulcanfibre, and is exactly the same as your helmet, they describe the slots as possible strap securing points for a backpack, this comes from the Keith Took collection, is this wrong?
    Hi Dave, The information that I posted is from the Baer book, The History of the German Steel Helmet, on pages 94 and 95. It is my understanding from the passage and photographs in that book that it was this model (with the slotted apron) that was field tested both in 1932 and 1933. I too have heard this model referred to as the M33 as well, but it appears that it was actually produced the prior year. In the German language 3 volume treatise by Baer, there are photographs of 3 models of prototype vulkanfiber helmets, and although I do not read German, it appears that the text in that treatise regarding this model is essentially the same as that in the 1 volume English language Baer book. I am familiar with the book that you reference, but do not have a copy myself, so I am not sure what is said about these helmets in it. I do not know the intended purpose of the slots, and Baer, I believe, did not mention the reason for them. As far as from where my helmet came, I bought it off of an internet website, and do not know anything about any of the prior owners. In any event, I don't think that alot is known about these helmets, and I certainly do not know why they have been designated as M33's, when they were, apparently, actually made in 1932. Hopefully one of the other forum members can shed some light on the subject. I am sorry that I couldn't provide better answers to your questions. Cheers, Jim G.

?

I think it is easier finding a pair of chicken lips than this type helmet. Nice score.
    Steve

Quote by SteveR View Post
    I think it is easier finding a pair of chicken lips than this type helmet. Nice score.
    Steve
    Thanks Steve. I found the helmet on a website that I was looking at for the first time and my jaw dropped. I couldn't dial the seller's number fast enough to reserve the piece. It isn't in the best shape, but it is real, and unit marked. I was just lucky I guess, and i am glad to have it on the shelf. Cheers, Jim G.

Could you guys had the pictures of more of those helmets would really like to see them did they had more than that model.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast