Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.

Article about: Hello, once again. Yes this is my millionth post about this stuff and the prices. First off, I should explain myself for why I seem to be basically begging for this stuff, and it's mostly ju

Well thanks, I guess
    Here are some photos
    My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.

Images courtesy of seller.

Edit: I've decided to start learning on this stuff, but I'd like to know good threads to read and books.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.
    P
    Many

To start with, this forum is an excellent resource which is sadly underutilised. Use the advanced search function top right of the screen and add search terms e.g. "Relic Helmet" etc. You will find lots of threads.

Alternatively, click on one of the headings in the Steel Helmets section of the forum and start reading.

Also: German Helmet Vault – Collecting German WW2 helmets

Check out this thread: Any other good books on German helmets besides Baer's?

Andy

MAP
    ?

Andy hit the nail on the head above. And as we discussed. Learning this takes time and patience. It's not rocket science but it does take dedication.

Three pillars!

1) Quality Reference materials (books and websites like Franks German Helmet Vault)
    2) Hands on experience
    3) Forums - as well as the expertise of members

As a new collector we know the desire to get a helmet and the frustration not knowing what is good or bad. But what ever you post, look at the helmet before you post. Form your own conclusions and add that to your post. You may be 100% wrong but you will learn from it.

And best of all...we have our great new Reference Book Library at the disposal of all members here.

Third Reich Steel Helmets (ALL categories, HEER, SS, LUFT, KM)

P.S: The relic above seems fine. Liner is "hanging in there" but the shell looks OK. The question is. What do you really want? If you want a complete helmet. Skip the relics (unless you like them) and just save up until you have enough $$. It will be more rewarding in the long run and in the interim you can study
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I'll be sticking to relic helmets until I get a job and driver's license, which hopefully will be coming soon!

Thank you Map and Andy for giving me suggestions.

Quote by aircap1 View Post
    Well thanks, I guess
    Here are some photos
    My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.My continuing journey to find good relic helmets.

Images courtesy of seller.

Edit: I've decided to start learning on this stuff, but I'd like to know good threads to read and books.
    Honest looking relic, don't pay too much though.

Instead of jumping in with both feet getting that first helmet, I'd invest that money you have burning away in your pocket and invest in those books that MAP listed.

Just my tuppence worth ....
    "Per Ardua"

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm champing at the bit to get my first helmet. It's just crazy how expensive some of this stuff is though!

If you have a regular source of income of any kind, I'd humbly suggest waiting and saving your cash. It sounds as if you're going for relic helmets simply because they're what you can afford, rather than what you really want.

German helmets are expensive, that is the truth. But there are plenty of them to choose from, and they will never be in short supply. Take your time, save your money, until you track down the helmet that speaks to you the most. The more time and money you invest in an item, the more you'll enjoy it when it's finally in your hands.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    If you have a regular source of income of any kind, I'd humbly suggest waiting and saving your cash. It sounds as if you're going for relic helmets simply because they're what you can afford, rather than what you really want.

German helmets are expensive, that is the truth. But there are plenty of them to choose from, and they will never be in short supply. Take your time, save your money, until you track down the helmet that speaks to you the most. The more time and money you invest in an item, the more you'll enjoy it when it's finally in your hands.

B.B.
    I cannot speak for him, but I can for myself. I am honestly scared to death of buying a fake helmet. After watching on YouTube as to how easy it is to fake a helmet, I don't want to risk it. That's one reason, but not my main reason.

My main reason is, I have always been an avid fan of things that were actually used in combat. Whoopee, a helmet, mint condition, but it was never used. There is no fun in that for me. I love finds from places, places I can study, maybe even pin down to a specific unit.

Perhaps it is because I'm a relic hunter also, that I am drawn to old rusty things.

P.S. I'm only 17, and waiting to get a job at the railroad. My source of income is odd jobs and horsetrading.

MAP
    ?

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    My main reason is, I have always been an avid fan of things that were actually used in combat. Whoopee, a helmet, mint condition, but it was never used. There is no fun in that for me.
    I know what your referring to... But just for reference. 99.99% of the helmet out there were issued and worn so there is a story behind them all. How hard they were worn is different and each helmet will tell it's own story. A relic has just as much of a story behind it as an "excellent" (not a true "mint") condition helmet

True mint and un-issued helmets are that other 0.01%. Most of these are well beyond the means of most collectors and typically should be handled only with gloves and stored behind lock and key. Prices increase exponentially when we talk about these helmets that are at the long end of the curve.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast