Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My first helmet.

Article about: by DougB Hi Pat, no it was all hockey for me at that age! But I have always liked reading the history of WW1 and 2 and have been fortunate enough since to have toured most of the battlefield

?

Default Re: My first helmet.

Quote by talltom View Post
    ... does it sit on your wall of helmets?
    thanks for sharing

tom
    Thanks Tom and absolutely it sits on the Wall among its WW1 brothers! I used to have my WW1 helmets in a glass case but I moved them, I will post a new photo of the Wall shortly.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first helmet.
    P
    Many

Great helmet, i enjoyed looking at it.

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    For crying out loud Doug, even your first helmet is immaculate depite its age and the missing pins, no wonder your mindset is always looking for the best there is, and that wound stripe is a real nice feature, ive never heard about or seen that before but its definately worth knowing, so it was well worth showing it and i dont blame you for not entertaining a sale on it, the first helmet is always something special, unfortunately i gave my first one to my nephew who was starting to collect but his mother decided to throw it in the bin a few years later
    In the bin??!!!
    Did she throw out the rest of his collection?

cheers,
    Pat

?

Doug a wonderful example it is easy to see why this Helmet has inspired you in your collecting of Helmets
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Doug, thanks for taking the time to share a personal memory with us. I wish more 14 year olds had that type of experience to get them interested in something other than X-Box or IPhones, or whatever they waste their time with these days. Truly a great helmet.

Really great lid Doug. Thanks for showing.........!

What amazes me is the fact that you've hung onto it all this time, where a lot of kids
    would turn to other things, or think something like this was not all that important.
    It is a fixture in your life - an old friend - a part of who you are.

You caught the bug early on, and it has never left !
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I bet there wasent any X-box's or Iphones when doug was 14. and with a helmet like that i dont see why you need one

cheers,
    pat

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Doug, thanks for taking the time to share a personal memory with us. I wish more 14 year olds had that type of experience to get them interested in something other than X-Box or IPhones, or whatever they waste their time with these days. Truly a great helmet.
    Thank you, some has rubbed off on my kids as well. My youngest is the most fascinated by it and he gets my "seconds", he actually has quite the collection going now! My oldest was in Sweden for a year on an exchange and he visited Ypres, the Somme and Normandy when he had some breaks. So its pretty cool to see the influence it has. I have taken this and many artifacts into schools and done living history talks on WW1 and 2 and the kids of all ages are completely fascinated.

I think if more of this got into the hands of younger kids there would be a lot more of an interest for sure.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Really great lid Doug. Thanks for showing.........!

What amazes me is the fact that you've hung onto it all this time, where a lot of kids
    would turn to other things, or think something like this was not all that important.
    It is a fixture in your life - an old friend - a part of who you are.

You caught the bug early on, and it has never left !
    THanks Steve, and it never will!

?

Quote by HistoryIsMe View Post
    I bet there wasent any X-box's or Iphones when doug was 14. and with a helmet like that i dont see why you need one

cheers,
    pat
    Hi Pat, no it was all hockey for me at that age! But I have always liked reading the history of WW1 and 2 and have been fortunate enough since to have toured most of the battlefields of Western Europe, something I would recommend to any collector! It brings a sense of reality back to the items especially when you visit Tyne Cot, Langemarck, Menin Gate, or the Thiepval Memorial, or walk through the gravesites of Omaha Beach, Beny sur Mer or La Cambe.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast