Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

My first helmet.

Article about: by DougB Hi Pat, no it was all hockey for me at that age! But I have always liked reading the history of WW1 and 2 and have been fortunate enough since to have toured most of the battlefield

?

Default Re: My first helmet.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Hi Pat, no it was all hockey for me at that age! But I have always liked reading the history of WW1 and 2 and have been fortunate enough since to have toured most of the battlefields of Western Europe, something I would recommend to any collector! It brings a sense of reality back to the items especially when you visit Tyne Cot, Langemarck, Menin Gate, or the Thiepval Memorial, or walk through the gravesites of Omaha Beach, Beny sur Mer or La Cambe.
    I am more of a rugby and Hurly guy
    I havented visited any battlefields yet, but I have visited the national war mueseum in Dublin and got to see tanks and helmets and IRA memborbilia.

cheers,
    pat

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first helmet.
    P
    Many

?

Quote by HistoryIsMe View Post
    I am more of a rugby and Hurly guy
    I havented visited any battlefields yet, but I have visited the national war mueseum in Dublin and got to see tanks and helmets and IRA memborbilia.

cheers,
    pat
    They have museum to the IRA a terrorist organisation !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Doug is right about visiting the battlefields. I have been to some, particularly ones in Germany, that really make you think about the connection the past has with the items you collect.

Also if you have another interest in anything historical, then you should visit the places associated with it. My other passion is Inca history and anthropology. I went to Peru this past May, and that really blew any book I had ever read right out of the water.

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    They have museum to the IRA a terrorist organisation !!!
    The museum isint all war history, it also has expiditions of old celtic stone carvings and the such.
    No sorry, i meant like the artifacts from the 1916 easter rising. and the spies uniforms and guns and what they hid in thier books and shoes.
    It also shows British gas masks and uniforms. I should have brought a camera.

cheers,
    Pat

?

There is nothing like visiting the Battlefields of Europe, just to stand there and close your eyes and imagine, i did that on Omaha beach at 6.30am with the tide a fair way out with a sea mist rolling in, it gave me the shivers, the Somme was the same, and the woods above Foy, the Bridge at Remagen, and the Mohne dam, the history thats involved invokes all types of emotion and that is directly linked back to the items we collect, more so if those items were from the areas visited

?

Quote by HistoryIsMe View Post
    The museum isint all war history, it also has expiditions of old celtic stone carvings and the such.
    No sorry, i meant like the artifacts from the 1916 easter rising. and the spies uniforms and guns and what they hid in thier books and shoes.
    It also shows British gas masks and uniforms. I should have brought a camera.

cheers,
    Pat
    Oh right got you now Pat !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4